Ton, what's happing with blender

only if you have the time, and the desire. i have neither. i would pay a LOT for a source code license for blender. but then, i can afford to spend the money, not the time.

Maybe this is the result of that “flatten angels” button…

only if you have the time, and the desire. i have neither. i would pay a LOT for a source code license for blender. but then, i can afford to spend the money, not the time.

Actually I understand where your coming from with that one. When I said ‘Opensoure’ I meant in the GPL/RMS sense of the word. I’m not against source disclosure, I would actually love to get my grubby little mitts on it. The problem I have is with people who are not willing to pay for anything. Their argument is ‘there needs to be a high quality free (as in speech) 3d animation package. Blender is in a unique position to become this’. Instead of doing the work themselves they would rather devour NAN’s carcass.

[quote=“Zarf”]

Instead of doing the work themselves they would rather devour NAN’s carcass.

:smiley: yummm! NaN carcass on rice with a nice red wine!

Ahem. Sorry, all.

I’m still hoping for a return of NaN. The company I work for is in dire straits too, and I know what it’s like to work your hardest and still not be able to get ahead. I don’t think NaN is completely dead yet, anyway. Not so long as Ton continues to seek out new options.

I do get frustrated over those who seem to think that student should = FREE everything, however. If that were the case, nobody would graduate!And while I’m at it, warez is not a long-term solution, either. I suppose if 3D is just a hobby for someone, they may feel that a pirated copy of an app would be sufficient for their needs. But I often hear advocates of warez say they “need” an app to finish a project for which they expect compensation of some sort, whether it’s money or a grade. How would they feel if somebody sneaked into their room at night and made a copy of their artwork and turned it in for a grade or money? “Not fair,” they’d say, “he/she doesn’t deserve to get compensated without doing the work!”

Ahhh, blast it. It’s an old argument, anyway, and one without any clear end.

Mostly, I just wanted to post to keep a presence in the community. My own miseries have kept me busy, and unfortunately, not blendering. But my heart is still in 3D!

Basically when it comes to the topic of, how to obtain things, including software, I look at the reason. My idealology is…stop at nothing to further your knowledge and education, there is more than one answer to the problems at hand, but solve however necessary and continue on. The large business that produce the stuff that is most often copied, got to be big businesses because they were strategic and cunning, if you want to get somewhere, you must be also. I’m not saying go out and steal, I’m saying there a time, a reason, and a place for everything. Remember, hardly anything if anything at all is black and white, neither is success. I set a goal…to learn as much as possible about as much as much as possible…whatever it takes to achieve my goal, I lay out the problems, propose the possible solutions and time frames, and move forward. For those of you who need something for free to learn, those who are students…solve the problem at hand.

[quote=“imgranpaboy”]

Stefano (my family name begins with S too, so monogram is SS, this gives Imgrandpaboy an edge in his argument above )

lol stefano, i dont know what that means? =)

SS is a german acronym for something I can’t remember but which indicated Hitler’s elite guards (those bad boys in the movies with gray uniform and two ‘S’ resembling a lightning stroke on the uniform…

Stefano

A reference was made to truespace ealier…calagari has an interesting scheme in that you can purchase various versions ranging in price from $99 to $600ish. Blender could simply come out with Blender 3.0 (I think the road map called for something like that in 2002 or 2003)…and allow people to download 2.23 (or 2.25 for free). When Blender 4.0 comes out, Blender 3.0 is free (previous 3.0 owners get price break on upgrade).

NaN HAS TO CHARGE SOMETHING! I have no doubt Ton will insure that Blender is still the most cost-effective solution around. If they have capital to support development, Blender may be able to become a viable production tool.

First of all, NAN or Blender is not dead yet. Blender can still come back, and NAN is coming back.

Second, another option for NAN to make money is: Advertisements. Plenty of companies make plenty of money with ads. NAN could advertise on their site and sell Blender, making pretty steady money.

Pooba

adverts would not suppot 20 something programers !!! also it would scare away investers 1 person can live of traffic a search enjine mabey but not a software company.

I think its pretty clear that no matter what form future Blender development takes it won’t be a 20 person company. Perhaps 2-4 ppl as Ton stated in his update. Advertisements could certainly be a nice supplement to any future Blender development but certainly not the primary source. That revenue stream is pretty unpredictable and might be unsuitable for a small and lean developement team.

-Pato

As far as I know, NaN hasn’t restored anything. But as long as they SAY they’re redesigning their company, I have hope for sound in the Sequence Editor, for a Blender feature film, for a future in Blender.

Nobody here makes any sense. If you think that Blender (or NaN) is dead for good, then why are you posting on a site that is hopeful for a comeback? If you don’t think that you have a chance for another Blender version, then you don’t deserve to have a screen name on any Blender site. If you think that all that’s left of Blender is the past, I’d like to tell you something. NaN went out of business twice in the past: Once as NeoGeo and again as plain NaN. They came back both times. They are probably coming back as NaN 3.0/4.0 (depending on whether NeoGeo really was the first version of NaN).

As to how they should make money, they had a theory in the original days: the E-shop would make them money as well as “Complete Blender.” When that theory basically died, they focused more on Blender merchandise (i.e. the Blender shirt I am currently wearing, the Blender Manual). They went back and tried Complete Blender, and died, so they might come back and focus for good on the E-shop for money.

I have some other theories:

1. Keep selling Publisher, but at a percentage of the cost.

2. In the Publisher, put in the full Blender 2.whatever, and for free is a Blender 2.whatever with a few (read: A FEW) features missing until the next version which will have all the features from the previous version but some newer ones missing in the free one.

Both theories might work, as the first gives NaN the Publisher money (just not at the same price), and the second keeps interest in both Publisher and the free Creator.

Keep having faith in NaN 3.0 and maybe it will come. If you tell Ton that you’ve lost hope, than you’ve lowered the odds.