Torch

Hi guys. I am currently taking some of my finished blender projects and trying to present them nicely using photoshop, the best one’s I will put into my first portfolio. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve the composition of this torch? Or do you think it is ok as it is? Looking for opinions and feedback please.

Many thanks and have a great day!

chrome looks too rough
should be a bit more mirror like but not too much

how did you do the smoke with light beam ?

looking nice
may be add something in background
trees or buildings ect,

happy cl

Hi Ricky, thanks for your thoughts on this. Chrome could indeed be a bit more flat, good point.

I used 2 cones with different fog volumes. And mixed glass / emission shaders for the light. Plus an area light from inside the torch and another glass / emission shader for the bulb element. I then edited the hue - saturation and brightness in photoshop.

I had originally added the torch to a scene in the woods but it took away the focus from the model. Thats why I opted for a plain / blurred background. But maybe in context, with trees or some hint to being in an environment may give the image some depth and intrigue.

Thanks again

Hi!

I think it looks really good already!

It might be helpful to know what exactly your aiming for with your portfolio to get better feedback. Is it for product vizualisations, game assets, modeling/texturing in general?
Basically: Who’s the target group for your portfolio?

Thankyou Moreau, I am still trying to figure that out and see the importance of focusing on a particular area. Modelling and game assets are the most relevant with what I have created so far. I am just trying to consolidate projects from the past year and a half to see which one’s are good enough to include. Then I have the option to pick and choose the models / renders that are suitable for the direction I want to go in. I appreciate your feedback, thanks again

I’m not really an expert for those topics then, so maybe don’t put too much emphasis on my feedback :sweat_smile:

The render you made already shows really good what your model can accomplish with the right lighting and texture.
It might be helpful to make a clay render and one that shows the polys of the model. Both interesting information for how the model is build without texturing and lighting. Even if you don’t use them in your main portfolio, it is good to have those as backup. And they could come in pretty handy especially for gaming assets, etc.

Yes absolutely, it is on my to do list but thanks for pointing that out