Toy Car - CAD model to mesh

Hi!

Finally ready to actually post a piece of (almost) finished work. Thanks to the wonderful people here, I’ve been able to work through many issues with this. The main issue in particular, converting a CAD/NURBS model to a mesh. This. Was. Hard.

There were so many difficulties getting this thing prepared for textures. No easy shortcuts about it. I finally had to make a decision and just do what I could with the converted mesh (which was done in MOI), and clean up what was possible. There are still so many details that are driving me crazy, but thank fully the textures cover them up (for the most part). The one final touch I wanted to add was a peeling sticker on the back side, which was designed in Illustrator.

The original CAD file was found here. By the way, my next challenge is to make a scene with the car’s robot form. That’ll be for another day. I’m quite done looking at this thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Moi has a script for converting nurbs to polygons (meshes)

1 Like

Yep :slight_smile: That’s what I used actually. Despite it’s good results, there were still tons of issues. That said, MOI did produce a better result than Fusion360’s conversion algorithm.

Yuck.

Also, one of the many issues for MOI were the filleted edges. Because of the manifold design, everything was connected, as I believe the creator’s intention was for 3D printing. The original CAD file did actually have a non-filleted version, but that had an entirely different set of issues. This whole project was a huge learning experience for sure!

1 Like

must be those triads. U can convert triads to polygons in blender, u can click on 2 or more triad faces and press ALT J , it does the job 70 % Or do topography with shrink warp modifier. Beautiful render !!!

1 Like