Tracking a 3D object onto a moving face inside a shot with a moving camera

What’s the best way to track 3D geometry onto a moving face within a scene with a moving camera? I have a lot of experience using planar trackers like Mocha Pro but am new to 3D tracking. I’m in preproduction for an independent horror feature so I can set up the shots with tracking markers or whatever else is ideal. Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out Glenn?
It seems it’s possible, but the object track is only giving me 3D markers that are on a flat plane facing the camera, and animating to keep on the tracks.

I’m finding hard to find out if this is possible in blender. I know Syntheyes can do it though… May have to bite the bullet and buy it.

GuyJam

Yep, I did actually figure this out. You have to add an object to your tracking stack (right side of tracking interface screens) and track the markers for that object, then do an object solve. You also have to track your camera using trackers that are stationary in the scene and do a camera solve. Then, you add constraints on your objects – camera constraint for the camera, object constraint for the object. Finally, move and rotate your object to match up to your tracked scene. I had to mess around with placing the keyframes for the trackers to get my object solve to work correctly, but I guess that’s part of how Blender works…

1 Like