Tranquil Watermill

thumbnail

I’ve been working on this for about two months now, here’s a comparison of early on vs later:

The vegetation is hand-painted:

101a1b36b1b3cc5d4384c691b314598130002080_2_690x388
5ef0cea2263748281036e693da472d368a6da3a6_2_690x388

Everything else was done entirely in Blender.

The smoke and clouds were rendered separately and composited in for quick editing.

Lots of geometry nodes here- the cobwebs, swallow’s nests, stairs, path, and fences were all created with geonodes.

The clouds were also created with geometry nodes:

The compositing nodetree has over 50 nodes, it’s quite complex. Here’s an earlier version of it:

I’m using extremely dense geometry to allow for highly detailed procedural distortion using geometry nodes:

The whole scene, not counting everything that’s still geonodes, weighs in at 7m triangles.

On meshes where materials share a line boundary, I’ve also used geometry nodes to artistically distort that boundary.

I’m quite proud of my swallow nest generator:
2023-11-27 22_10_35-Blender H__blender_projects_sync_2023-ww_swallownest.blend

You can download and play around with that generator:
swallownest.blend (124.3 KB)

This is my largest project ever, literally speaking- the project folder is 121 GB.

I had quite a few other camera angles, but due to the time challenge of hand-painting vegetation, I decided not to move forward with these. You can see some of them below:

Some miscellaneous progress shots:

Lastly, this is the reference image that inspired it all (it’s a still from a Studio Ghibli movie, not sure which one):

You can read about this in more detail here:

You may notice that details about the shaders are quite sparse- I’ve been working on perfecting this look for some time, and I’m not really comfortable sharing information about it on the open internet. Feel free to DM me and I can share more.

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

45 Likes

I’ve enjoyed following this. Great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve enjoyed working on it- but I’m at the point where I can tell I’m not going to enjoy it much longer, and I’ve learned to just call it at that point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mm, relatable. Don’t worry though, I really like it :wink:

1 Like

Good :grin: I think it turned out pretty well also

1 Like

The flat poster-ish colouring works well
I can easily see this art style in a mystery/puzzle type adventure game

1 Like

Thank you! I hadn’t considered that, I tend to think more along the lines of animation backgrounds, but I think it would be really cool to see a game in this style

1 Like

Nicely done, dude. Shading is looking great. Nice sense of scale created with the layout, the angle, and the near/far camera… really adds to the overall depth.

I know there’s a dozen things that you’ll stare at tonight, or next week, or next year, and want to tweak - that’s art life, you know that; sometimes you have to cut the cord, and decide “done, or I’ll never be done”. It looks great, and you should be pleased with it.

3 Likes

Is this you politely saying “please stop messaging me agonizing over tiny tweaks?” :wink: jokes aside, I really appreciate all your support with this, this wouldn’t exist without you man. Thanks a billion

2 Likes

These are incredible renders, and were very fun to follow through the whole process (well, at least the couple of months since I joined lol)
I think my favorite part is the NPR style

2 Likes

I think this is what I most struggle with in Blender
Gonna try taking that advice

2 Likes

@luispabloherrera it can be really hard to find your own cutoff points, usually for me I iterate for a while until I realize I don’t want to look at the project anymore, and then I abandon it. That’s the value of having a sketchbook thread and reaching out to people for feedback- having other people helps you realize what’s worth iterating and what’s not. Since I’ve started documenting my work publicly, my finished project output has increased by at least 10-20x

3 Likes

This turned out quite nice. I enjoyed watching the progression over the weeks and I am sure that others will have also, as well as take away some ideas and processes for their own work…Great Job, Joseph!

1 Like

Thanks :grin: I also learned a lot from this, I have new insights about what to focus on and what can fall by the wayside now. My hope is that my next project goes significantly faster, while maintaining or improving the level of quality

1 Like

I love the soft look that your creations have. Great job!

1 Like

Thank you! Elsewhere, someone described my style as “quaint”, which I think goes along with “soft” as kind of a storybook-esque deal. I do eventually want to get into some grittier environments as well (I have a graphic novel in mind that’s going to need some desolation), but for now, I’m very happy with soft :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does have a storybook feel to it. Almost like the 3D version of traditional watercolors. It looks good. A graphic novel would require more sharpness and contrast. Definitely share your work if you ever start one! :grinning:

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

What i do like here is… because when seeing “all those gibli like images”… this is not only a meadow, some big stones and some trees in the background…

…someone almost expects some door opening and some protagonist running towards the camera… and now some music starts to level up… and the camera turns… looking of the land and the title letters appear to tell you the name of this new movie…

:heart_eyes:

An by using all this “some”–words… i guess it’s something like: Some adventures at the Watermill:wink:

2 Likes

If I had the energy, time, and patience to spend another two months on this, you might just have seen all that :wink:

2 Likes