Transience of Memory

I think that model already looks good :slight_smile: I wouldn’t necessarily see it needing anything too dramatic, since the context is a clear and accurate representation of the skeleton. Adding fx over the top, or going for high contrast lighting would make it harder to see in this case.

Always useful Dorian, it’s an amazing addon!

1 Like

Thank you @killerkoala @alekba @Splash :slight_smile:

Killerkoala - There aren’t any photos in the composite apart from the matte painted sky; the whole scene is 3D. Partly this is because I wanted the challenge, but also for consistency across the image. I didn’t want to force myself into a photorealistic style, and matching stylised with photography is difficult and tends to look disjointed.

Alekba - I was thinking initially of making a trilogy of images, working backwards chronologically, the next 2 being a shot of the siege itself, and then the army arriving and setting up. I’m not sure yet if I’ll work on either since this took much longer than I was expecting, and I’d still have to remodel most of the scene to create intact versions of the assets, re-scatter the assets, etc.

Splash - I remember having a discussion with a few people at the Blender Conference a few years ago about renders looking painted; I think our general consensus was that it’s a mix of lighting and colour, where both are used for compositional effect without too much regard for accuracy or realism (cheating the lighting direction for each layer in this case, for example) Since Photorealism is getting everything right, stylised in a way is getting specific things wrong. But otherwise I’m not specifically aiming for this style, it’s just my default, probably as a result of coming to CG after focussing on traditional painting.

4 Likes

Thanks for your response! great stuff!

1 Like

Congratulations, this work has been nominated for the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2022’ award in the #landscapes category! You can vote for it here.