Traveler's Reunion

Today marks my 7th anniversary as a Blender artist! Back in 2015 I excitedly downloaded Blender for the first time and made… a spinning cylinder. It was my first night, ok~ This was before the time of donut tutorials and CG Matter videos. Blender still had a game engine! (In which I wasted a great deal of time and accomplished very little). Cycles was slow and EEVEE wouldn’t be around for a long time. I was a complete noob with great ambition and enthusiasm but little sense of direction. Sometimes I still am!

After all this time I still have so much to learn and do, and I appreciate everyone whose made this community so awesome. To celebrate, here’s one of my favorite renders I’ve ever made.

As with many of my projects, this was a speed render completed in a single sitting over the course of a few hours. I had no plan except a corridor of arches with flowers, and everything else I came up with as I went along.
I wanted a red robed figure so I went to Sketchfab and found this lovely model by David Young. The model is an alternate outfit for the characters from the game Journey. It seemed like a great fit for my scene (aesthetically - my scene has nothing to do with Journey’s lore), and the splash of red makes this vibrant even by my standards!

My Instagram

34 Likes

Happy anniversary!

It’s a lovely – and intriguing – scene.

2 Likes

Journey is a beautiful game and this is a stunning render of 2 travelers meeting. It’s as if time has slowed down when I look at this piece.

1 Like

Thank you! I love art that teases the viewer with just enough to get the mind going imagining the world it exists in

1 Like

Haha thanks! You do live up to your username~

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Wow, cover art for this week! Thank you!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Stunning render, everything about it screems Japan!
Very inspiring text too! My journey in blender is even longer and goes back to “Blender Render” engine - rendering cubes and being fascinated about it. Blender has gotten so far until today that I am sometimes not able to follow up all the new features. I feel old, lol

1 Like

Thank you!!

Thanks! I kinda just mashed together a few things I could make/acquire easily, but with lots of practice I’ve learned how to make pretty things that way!
Ahh i remember the old internal render engine. I didn’t use it much because I was too busy messing around in BGE at the time and occasionally dabbling in Cycles (with great difficulty because of my slow computer at the time), but a lot of those old tutorials I watched were in the original engine. And you aren’t alone in struggling to keep up! There are lots of newer features I haven’t learned yet either. Even as a veteran of material node spaghetti I am just beginning to learn geo nodes.

Good luck with your Blender Journey!