Tree with connected branches

Any news about next verion of that script? I’m playing with it every day, but adding branches is not easy :frowning:

@burnin your tree let me think of Dr. Seuss’ tree

Sorry, I’m going through a lot of exams, and as the end is getting closer my spare time is nothing but a sweet dream.
After that i will never have to work that much, but currently i can’t allow myself to update on the addon. I will be free in less than a month, so I can’t promise to post the update any sooner. I will try tho :slight_smile:

Maxime - best luck with your exams! Man, i see that You are really busy now:) I hope that maybe in next 3-4 weeks You will find some free time for developing this awesome script. Whole community is really interested what next will be added for script:)
Greetings!

good luck with your exams! Looking forward to see the plugin updated! :slight_smile:

So far plugin is fantastic!
My wishes are following:

1. Another vertex group or vertex paint which gradually shows “age” of bark. It would allow to make and use one adaptive material for same species of trees, but different ages.

2. Roots as option. And there could be almost similar configuration, because roots can be different and some could want them only partially, limited to radius/iterations.

3. Very specific and unique would be option to generate once extremely cuted main branches from where younger branches grew out. And also option to generate young branches grew out from trunk and big branches.

4. Presets to setup typical kind of trees: oak, birch, appletree, maple/ash, pine, spruce, bamboo, etc

5. Supercool would be to have typical ready materials/textures for tree body and leafs which could be good start point for advanced users, but quite enough for beginners.

6. Subdivision of lower level branches and trunk. As small branches would not need greater detail, but trunk is too rough for making more detailed in simple way.

7. uv should flow with branches at least until some level

Wow thanks so much

These are some good ideas, I will work on it !
Thank you all for your support, it is very welcome.

Thank you very much for this addon. I am doing some awesome trees with it. I will post them soon. Wish you good luck with the exams and hope to hear from you soon.

This script is very very cool! One thing that I’ve been missing from Blender’s sapling generator, is the possibility to create palm trees. With it this is best I could done currently. (to be fair, it is my only test to create palm trees with Blender) https://www.dropbox.com/s/z67zcco9h7ixs7u/muuan_paratiisi.jpg?dl=0

As you can see, sapling generator does not have ability to control the direction of leaves. It always spawns them to random direction, but in palm tree, the leaves are always pointing to almost same direction, see these images:

Wow sir! this is looking to be so awesome!!! Best of luck to you!
/uploads/default/original/4X/4/b/f/4bf3c8157ed12c51151e5f2627eb4f0c43e05e9e.jpgstc=1

Attachments

Wow… Just playing around with this… It’s absolutely incredible :smiley:

Really nice start and great overall process !

Some suggestions :
-Would be really nice to improve the UV unwrap, I find difficult to map it with a texture, it would probably be nice to create it during the build process instead of creating seams and using the integrated UV unwrap to calculate it. This way you may for instance make all the isles pointing up to better fit the map texture.
-I would close the branch ends.
-It would be very useful to be able to apply the gravity factor from a branch level (something like from level x or only for the last level), this is very useful for instance to create birch falling branches.

Will you implement leaf generation ?

Can’t wait to see evolution of this promising script.

Thank you for your suggestions !

• I know the uv unwrap is not optimal, but I don’t know how to unwrap by hand through python, I didn’t find sufficient documentation for it. I however think that I could loop through the uv mapping and rotate it accordingly when needed.
  • Closing the branch ends should be no problem.
  • that’s a really great idea, and very simple to implement !
  • considering the average leaf number on a tree, I think the best way is to use a particule system, even if it doesn’t gives full control on the leaf orientation. I will add an option to automatically configure it.

Alright I’m back, and I now have plenty of time. UV now flow with branches, and I’ve added automatic material creation.

Ho la la Maxime, Awesome! you are a chief!
Really amazing render so near a real tree!

Wow! Dear Maxime! It’s really good material along geometry! Nice update:) I can’t wait to see if You will be able to add some simple leafs (with particles). I suppose that WE (community) are able to deliver some great free and alpha masked LEAFS textures or whole branches to create some presets for Your script:)
Greetings and congratulations !

Hi, Maxime
Welcome back and congrats on finishing the exams :yes:

Q: Will you make a GitHub repo for your add-on?

Wow ow ow! amazing work man. Good luck with it. This is already so useful

great stuff , I noticed that you used UE 4, If you need some inspiration for your Tree addon you can check out Speedtree, it should be free with the unreal 4 engine but u can’t export the models. Speedtree makes absolutely great trees and is the industry standard, maybe it will give you some good ideas :)!

here you can see a trailer :