Tropical Island, Please Critique!

Hi All,

After following cggeeks low poly tutorial I decided to try and create a little island in the ocean as my first ‘own idea’ in Blender.

I think it came out quite reasonable and took me about 5/6 painstaking hours! Lots of googling and going back to cggeeks original tutorial. I decided to do the final render in Cycles as I couldn’t get the shadows to work properly in Eevee which made the whole thing look even faker than it already is! haha

Birds eye:

Observatory (my first ‘own designed building’!):

Lakeside (first time using shift + R, which is an awesome shortcut!):

I’m looking for ways to improve this. I think it can be improved a lot by changing the background to something more fitting, but I have currently no idea how to use the HDRi image data while not using it as the background.

I also feel my renders are not very sharp and I can’t seem to figure out why.

Let me know what you think and how you suggest improving it!

I don’t like sharing the work at this stage, but feel like it is the only way to get better and meaningfully improve what I’m doing!

Thanks for your critiques in advance!

stwr

ps. thanks cggeek for doing these awesome introductory tutorials!

2 Likes

Already made one change, I decided to increase the exposure a little and bring the transparency on the lava way down to it looks more like… lava:

looks amazing man !!!

that looks so nice, the lake and the little observatory are adorable.
one thing i’d say is maybe the volcano needs to be more readable? maybe taller or something, at first i didn’t get it was a volcano. the new lava looks nice tho

Agreed! Looking at it now I see exactly what you mean. I will try and make a taller steeper volcano.