Trouble exporting/importing alembic file to unreal 5.3

Hi, I’m new to blender but have been trying to pick it up in my spare time.

I know this issue is similar to others posted, I have tried searching many blog posts to find a solution but none of them seem to help. I don’t know if this is because my issue is different, or there is some settings not spoken about in these posts.

I’m trying to understand how to create hair/fur on an object so that it can be imported to unreal engine. I have tried 2 methods of creating the hair, I don’t know if they make any difference to the output.

In both cases I am subdividing a cube as the object the hairs come from.

Initially, I was following a video detailing how to create fur in blender, I used shift A → Curve → Empty hair + the tools in sculpt mode to make a simple hair ball.

After searching for solutions for a while I found a video using the particles tab to generate hair on the cube as a particle system.

In both cases, when I attempt to export, I use the alembic file type with the scale set to 100.00, ‘Selected Objects’ and ‘Visible Objects’ ticked, ‘Use instancing’ and ‘Custom Properties’ unticked, and Particle Systems → ‘Export Particles’ unticked, as many of the videos on this topic advised.

I have also attempted exporting with scale = 100.00, ‘Selected Objects’, ‘Visible Objects’ and Particle Systems → Export Hair ticked and all other options unticked.

With all of these attempts, when I try to import the created .abc file to unreal engine I get the following error in the output log:

LogAssetTools: Warning: Failed to import ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Matth/OneDrive/Documents/Fur.abc’. Failed to create asset ‘/Game/Shader/Fur’.
Please see Output Log for details.

I have the ‘Alembic Groom Importer’ and ‘Alembic Importer’ enabled in my Unreal plugins for the project I am importing to, but I do not get the pop up to suggest they are working when I import my alembic files. This makes me believe it is an issue with how I am exporting the alembic file from Blender and so thats why I am starting here!

I appreciate there might not be a lot of information to go on here, I am happy to try to supply more information on the issue if needed, but I don’t know at this time what I could provide to be helpful!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I have been attempting to fix this myself for the past 3 days and can’t seem to get anywhere with it.