True Face/Edge/Vertex - selection-/workmodes, now a Fact!

The new selection modes are nice! I really like the way they work.

New: Fake Polygons, or Face-polygons, or FGons nicked for now.
Just select a bunch of faces (selection should be valid flat poly) and
press FKEY. Works in fact as selection-group optimizing. Nice in solid
drawmode!

Interesting, so I wonder what happens if you turn on Sub Surf.
I gather there’s no effect on how the subdivision is calculated.

Alright, face-select yesterday and N-GONS last night… I wonder what tonight’s feature will be!

Not N-Gons, FGons. Hehehehehehe. We are getting what we worked for as open source 3d software supporters. Thanks Ton and every other amazing coder who brought this build to life.

Blend on!

Nothing was said about Ngons, they look like Ngons, but they’re actually just 3 and 4 sided faces with the center edges hidden from view.

And for who who wished for the localized bevel, A script that does that same thing can be found in the scripts menu in 2.34.

How to use FGon on a circular plane?
Create a cylinder, select the pie face one by one and FKey, then I get 2 big pie faces. How can I merge the 2 faces into one? Every time when I press FKey, it complaints: “cannot make polygon with interior vertices”

Thanx

What it’s for, (I think), is if you have an open end of a cylinder. You select the vericies at the end and hit Shift F. This gives you all those ugly faces. Before we used to hit Alt+J to make them all straight, but they would tend to skip some of the verticies along the sides and give us holes in our mesh. OR we’d have to select 3 or 4 vertices at a time and face the end individually. Now you can just select all those ugly faces after a SHift+F at once, hit F and Make and get one solid non-leaky face regardless of how many verticies are there.

Ok, so as far as the drawing functions are concerned, an “F-Gon” is one face, with one normal, but for all other purposes it’s still multiple faces.

And while the faces have to be coplanar to begin with, after you make them an f-gon you can distort the edges and the f-gon distorts as well.

This is neat!

It says right now they’re basically limited to hiding unsightly verticies and edges according to the feature chart. Hope he can make them as usefull as possible.

First of all, thanks to Ton!!!
I feel just as though it were Christmas, we get more and more new toys to play with :smiley:
This new feature is great, it speeds up the workflow greatly!

But, I thought I’d mention one problem, while it’s still fresh, so hopefully it can be fixed soon:
When extruding a face, it automatically extrudes along the normal (which is great), BUT: the info text at the bottom left of the 3D View (dx, dy and dz) shows wrong data. It seems to follow the movement of the mouse cursor, and not the movement of the newly created face, which is constrained to the normal direction. It would be very helpful to get it to show the right information.

The other features are also very nice, so once again a big thanks to the coders!

Zsolt

Hey ztonzy, how about posting your linux builds up on the .org site? That’s where I usually look for them. I noticed that ebrain’s build uses glibc2.3.5-i386 and yours is glibc2.3.3-i386. Any reason?

Hey ztonzy, how about posting your linux builds up on the .org site? That’s where I usually look for them. I noticed that ebrain’s build uses glibc2.3.5-i386 and yours is glibc2.3.3-i386. Any reason?[/quote]

ah yes…this link is in a post at blender.org too

about libc ? dont know… :slight_smile:

are there hotkeys to switch modes?

not yet…enter editmode and look for the different modes in the 3D view header…