True Face/Edge/Vertex - selection-/workmodes, now a Fact!

Since last night, Ton commited a rewrite of the mesh-edit code for true select-/workmode for faces, edges and vertices, this is what everyone have been waiting for, and it can be extended I think for better editing possabilites and so…but there are more coders than our great Ton :slight_smile:

Thank you again Ton!

whole new way of modeling!

http://blender3d.com/cms/Mesh_editing_rewrite.425.0.html

so either update your CVS for sourcecode or head over to “Test build” forum at www.blender.org for a view if there are any build for your platform.

we need testing and bug hunting!

:slight_smile:

sincerly yours,
moderator @ elysiun

• ztonzy

Surely you jest. Please don’t toy with us ztonzy! Hehehehe.

Sweet!

Blend on!

That’s absolutely great - thanks!

Can’t wait for the Windows build on blender.org

thanks alot coders!
this is a feature i’m waiting for so long

sexy

windoze build:

http://members.charnwoodarts.com/Dave/blender24_9_04.zip

Many thanks to Levon for compiling this for us all – Bravo dude :smiley:

Note: It also has blackmage’s distray patch – have fun with the soft shadows!

Another note for newbies: simply extract the file and move it to your blender folder then run it (just in case you didn’t know :stuck_out_tongue: )

and I have a Linuxbuild, no tweaking, straight source and latest bugfixing from today as I type…

http://hem.bredband.net/b311031/bfbuild/blender-2.34-linux-glibc2.3.3-i386.tar.gz

that kicks ass!! [!]

that is neat. even more neat than taper curves and such.

Woah! Gasp! Crap, this is what I’ve been waiting for for ages, and implemented just like I hoped, WITHOUT messing with the UV/Face select mode. Excelent!

woah. that is what i say after testing. its totaly woah. it will revolutionize the way i do modeling.

Likewise for me.

Now all we need is improved bevels (that work on selections, not the whole mesh) and we can bevel edges! Neato!

The system does have a strange way of doing edge extrusions though - if you select the four edges that make up a face it extrudes the whole face - not just the edges - this is not typical or ideal with a vert/edge/face approach.

And, there’s no way of defining ‘islands’ of selections - if you select two faces next to each other they are extruded as one area, if they are not, they are extruded as sepperate areas. You might not want it to extrude both faces as one unity even if they tangent. You could have two extrusion methods, Extrude and Extrude Region.

And, there’s no way of defining ‘islands’ of selections - if you select two faces next to each other they are extruded as one area, if they are not, they are extruded as sepperate areas. You might not want it to extrude both faces as one unity even if they tangent. You could have two extrusion methods, Extrude and Extrude Region.

Agreed. Although suddenly I feel so ungrateful for wanting more;) But there’s nothing wrong in keeping the coders on their toes, right?:slight_smile:

If someone could make so that tools like extrude and scale would affect polygons alternatively in groups or separate, that would nigh on terminate my Wings3D-envy:)

Also, the new selection modes make even more clear the problem with lacking an “Ignore backface” option. But enough on that, I’ll shut up for a week or so, just to show my gratitude;)

Yes, it makes you urge for an ‘Ignore Backface’ option in the Select menu like mad… Especially since you start selecting faces behind the visible ones because you forget it’s not there.

works great - much more intuitive

this line in the todo list caught my eye as well

‘Add ‘FaceSelect mode’ functionality in EditMode, including zbuffered selection, display and editing of UV texture.’

Does this mean I can still see textured polygons when I’m in edit mode?

thanks in advance

in UV face select mode, the eyes of the monkey seem to be holes.

that is because they are holes. they are totaly seperate from the rest of the head.

All right, who put amphetamines in Ton’s water supply, time to own up.

New: Fake Polygons, or Face-polygons, or FGons nicked for now.
Just select a bunch of faces (selection should be valid flat poly) and
press FKEY. Works in fact as selection-group optimizing. Nice in solid
drawmode!

Further some small additional fixes in the whole debugging process.
Found old error in loopselect for triangles, subdivision code, and
selection still.

NOTE: subdivide still works on vertex level only.

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2004-September/002306.html

All right, who put amphetamines in Ton’s water supply, time to own up.

Forget about that, make sure his supply doesn’t dry up;)

:smiley: Great another awesome feature integrated into blender 3D. Thanks coders for this new feature. :stuck_out_tongue: