True Volumetric coming soon :)

Guys, try to understand: he’s in Cuba, as far as I know they have very limited internet access and are banned by most US located servers because of the stupid US embargo… So have patience. He’s working hard on it, and that’s awesome!

farsthary: ¡Continúe el buen trabajo! :slight_smile:

Hopefully Raul Castro’s actions will give the U.S reason to lift the embargo, if a good size pool of potential Blender developers exist down there then by all means end the embargo.

I’m hoping Blender is international enough not to be affected such idiocies as a meaningless embargos. After all Blender it is based in the Netherlands for a start. Where coders come from shouldn’t be of any importance.

Koba

those images seem to me like a simple cube with procedural textures on them, which then gets animated (or the camera). oh, and to spice it up with some old fashioned motion blur and call it volumetrics.
(yeah, i enjoy to be the grinch :p)

this will be amazing for blender, so in the words of a well known freedom defender…
Hasta la victoria siempre

i think the current images are from the raycaster.

I did agree people tend think to mutch on US. Its not the only cuntry in the world. But on the new nowdays it’s all moust that. :mad: Have a look on the Eu insted or any other part of the world for that matter.

geez… who changed the subject to political bullshit ?
the comment was about internet connection in cuba :S not political differences.
Back on Topic! :wink:

Next week i hope to see some nice renders showing transparancy, cant wait ! :slight_smile:

well if it is the cuban embargo it should be fairly easy to use a mirror site not in cuba. there are probably spanish blender sites he could post it on in his native language and somebody will translate it.

/anything political in this thread.

Awesome. I can’t wait. That’s all I have to say, I’m speechless.

His third update
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2008-April/020771.html

Nasty memory bug fixed and found that this stuff appears in ray reflections and refractions:yes:

He’s posted a test video of it on youtube as well:

:smiley: Hello all!!

the fuel that feeds me are all your comments, sorry for those who think this is a joke, but I’ll upload to the blog some screen shot that showing Im using blender.
About the room full of smoke, Im currently using the procedural 3d textures of blender on simple geometry, also I’ll have to implement other procedurals 3D textures to match better fire,smoke than the current in blender, but this would be at final stages of development,Im focused now into get everithing working and integrated well, shadings, datasets, nD render,etc, so for the moment I could not spend so much time in making beautifull setups, all the images you saw are made in less than 5 minutes (the setup, not the render, that latter i’ll post some render times), I’ll let the artistic side to the artists.

Keep posting!!

Well, it sounds outstanding!

It’s render times I’ve been wanting to know all along, to tell if this will be a viable tool for animation or not.

farsthary – lots of people are rooting for you!

Well, about the render times, trust me, are faster than the fake volumetrics with a bunch of paralell planes or boxes or wharever to make looks like volumetrics.
I hav not here the exact numbers (Im not connected from my home where I develop everything) but that depend on your machine.
Next week I promise posting about that (Remember that I only get connected once in a week, I’ll be online now for 2 or 3 hours more, so shoot me now!, I dayly check my mail)

But for not waiting so long make some guessings:
All the images have to be shrinked twice to upload
the video have to be shrinked enourmously
I remember that the render that took longer where about 3-4 minutes at 1024-768 in my machine
I’m running on a low-end (the only I could afford) Pentium-D 3.40GHz, 1Gb Ram, Ati Radeon X1550 512 Mb (So no core duo goodies)
Also note that there’s a lot of optimising stuff I will done after everything gets completed at , lets say , 80%
And of course, with the release of testing builds to the comunity bugs,suggestions,improvements will rain, so when I get a solid framework ill make testing builds (Im new to the bazaar)
Note also that the shader implemented is rather simple, so render times could grow depending of what shader ,composite ops you use (I’ll give a lot of options to choose)

Try volumetrics in Ligthwave! they are amazing but also sloooow, in Maya , good volumetrics are also slow, in Pov-Ray, interior media are slow to, everywhere I check theres a fisical law dictating that raycaster could’nt get faster than some point, I’ll try to reach that point.
Also, volumetrics from the stack of textures are faster than from the shader nodes (logical), so for normal animators I would recommend using it rather than the SHD tree.

Lookin’ good farsthary . . . keep it up!

Trust me, everyone here is behind you on this. Any who thought this was a joke should know better by now. I’m looking forward to any and all updates . . . and can’t wait to get a hold of a testing build.

Cheers!

This can be a really good stuff for blender,I hope you can finish the project.
About the shading,what are your plan?
You are going to create some basic shading model for volume rendering,like in povray?
Do you also want to do hypertextures rendering?
Will you do self shadowing on volume?
The idea of using shading tree is fantastic,I’m really curious about it.
Keep it up!
Bye

I would like to make :
1- simple shadowing for abstarct, fast,preview,exploration.
2-self shadowing/shadow casting/integration with DSM for quality work
3-if have the time, some NPR shadings

each category could have differnt shader within:rolleyes:

Pentium-D is dual core. If I’m not mistaken, it is 2 cores on the same die as opposed to 2 separate dies in the same packaging in the Core Duo line.

Anyway, I think you are doing a great job! True volumetrics can be used too to fake SSS and make kick ass transparent glass like here:http://www.tomsporer.de/html/tutorials.html

From your first animation, I can already see the brute power of Volumetrics. The first spinning cube shows its internal structure nicely. something the would be very hard (or impossible) to accomplish in Blender’s current state. Sigue adelante hermano!