True Volumetric coming soon :)

Hope you succeed in making this fast, but high quality.

Try to get it working with raytraced shadows as well, as to increase freedom in shadows.

:o Of course I’ll go for the shadows!, but I’ll take my time on this, because this is a very important feature and also I need to investigate existing algorithms for it (like DSM, etc)

:frowning: i have a dumb question:
how could i download a recent SVN blender source code if in the college i can’t install SVN, should I wait for the official release?

Wow farsthary, very cool feature! I Hope you will have a great time writing this, and that your thesis will impress everyone :smiley:

I worked for a year at a company that writes a streaming radiological 3D viewer, so I’m curious if your volumetrics will display DICOM MR-datasets? Could do something interesting in Blender with those :slight_smile:

Thanks!

If you’ve got time, I’d really like to see a render of something less abstract, since it’s really hard to see exactly what is going on. How about rendering something like a transparent smoky suzanne model? Or just a default cube with a clouds texture?

farthary: if you need a recent checkout, pretty much anyone else with SVN could download it, make a .tar.gz (or .zip or whatever) and throw it on a web server. Heck, I’ll do it tonight and post a link to it tomorrow. That way you can just grab and go the next time you’re connected.

frasthray is there anyway we can support you moneywise or the like over the internet to support your developement? You probably don’t have a paypal account being from cuba.

@Broken: on his website he shows allot more examples, take a look:

oho! Those weren’t there last time I checked it. That looks great!

mmm… i like this one

verycool.

.b

the examples on your site look incredible. Nothing more to say! :wink: Maybe you could try them with the "texture nodes " patch, which will probably enable even more interesting procedural textures…

Oh my… that is just… excellent!!!

Very impressive. The first renderings were interesting, but the newer ones have shown some superb progress.

I look forward to seeing further work :slight_smile:

Oh, I’ve PM’d you a link to a tarball of the svn.

Does anyone know whether the “daily checkout” is actually updated? This could probably help Farsthary if it was.

P.S. This should be on Blendernation :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:slight_smile: Hello!

I´ĺl preciate any help from the comunity because of my limitted resources access, so all of your are my eyes outside there the rest of the time i could not get conected, you could send me attachment splits in less than 1 mb to my mail. (source codes, help files,blender arquitecture stuffs)
Note that I am new to the blender core coding, so I have little knowledge of how it works (allthough I learn in the process)
About the other kind of supports I prefer to wait until you get testing builds, because many things could happen in this side of the world that are off my control, so I dont want to be a developer that give dreams to the comunity and suddenly desapear , when you get something solid, then support me if you want.
I dont want to dissapoint the trust that all of you put in me, for that reason I´ll do my best, and in the process I would like to implement other goodies, but they are surprises if everything go well.
Note 2: The development process is no linear , so I could go faster or slower , depending on many factors including my social life.
Note3: I would like to make, in the volumetric from datasets part, importers from various data files, also medical files to if they are open.

Thank to all of you
                                                                                              Farsthary

What exactly is volymetrics? All I know is that it is used to produce nice looking smoke and fire which is really cool (:

I like how you are progressing,some of the last images on your site are really nice:eyebrowlift:.
I have a little question for you.
As you are working to do stuff like smoke,cloud,fire,I’m thinking about integration with Blender particles.Do you think is possible to use them to drive the movement of the volume(maybe a special volume material for paricles,as it seems you can do overlapping particles you could use a sphere based function for the individual particles)?
And thanks for your previous answer,I like it!

What exactly is volymetrics?
Basically it is just the metric system for the situation in which you turn up the volume of your speakers to max, to measure the lenght you fly off your chair when you start the music.

You can read about it on wikipedia here.

Well, I´ll look into it, is part of my proyect to, once i get the shading, etc stuffs working good for interior media, currently I could not make assumptions about that because i havent touched that code, but I think is posible

I´ve made some test using spheres and duplivert with particle sistem and works well, so this is an option to.

I´ve also where making some test into halo´s code, but they are flats, like billboards, so for now they are not my prority.

@Falgor:
Volumetrics are not only for fire,smoke,clouds they also are good for SFX like magic stuffs,texture sinthesys (image sinthesys),scientific visualization and interpretation of datasets (Phisical data,Medical,Biology, etc)
Also they give substance to objects, complexities impossible to achieve with texturing techniques.

I hope to see more volumetric eyecandy in practicle environments.

Considering how you’re doing this Blender could have among the best volumetrics of any 3D program:D

EDIT: He knows of the banding problem
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2008-April/020788.html