Trying to animate a hair cut using dynamic hair particles, but results are random

Hi,

I need to set a hair clipper as a tool that will cut hair particles cleanly, mimicking the motion of actual hair cutting in an animation.

I’ve tried using dynamic brush and dynamic canvas with varying results, but nothing seems to cut the hair evenly, no matter what settings I test.

I read I would get better results using a sculpt brush, but cannot work out how to convert a cube for example, into a sculpt brush that will cut dynamic hair particles in an animation.

I want to simulate a hair cut on a head model that has a hair styled using hair particles. I also need the hair particles to work with collision and gravity.

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Jas

Ok it turns out I made the mistake of not making sure my dynamic brush object has to intersect with the dynamic canvas object to be able to cut the hair particle length evenly. Seem logical now, but took the very kind Nnamdi (the author of the brilliant B-Gen hair addons for blender) to point this fact out. Thank you again Nnamdi, I can now simulate cutting hair particles properly with paint dynamics.

Check out the grass cutting tutorials on YouTube for in depth instructions using dynamic paint if of interest.