Trying to create a 3D logo and struggling with creating faces

kubernetes sticker.blend (974.7 KB)

I’m trying to create a logo from a SVG, a kubernetes logo that is supposed to look like the pic:

I am importing the SVG to Blender, then create just the steering wheel, nothing else. I want to put faces on it and then extrude it.

But I want the wheel to be the object, not a hole. it is a mess after importing it via SVG, the faces are totally absurdly messed up and corrupted, so I cleaned it all up, but now when I select the whole object and create faces, it will put faces in the wrong places (putting faces on the empty space in the spokes, not in the steering wheel like it should. How can I do this? I also don’t understand why there seem to be 3 different functions for putting faces, how are they different .

Also, am I supposed to try to use triangular faces or ngons or what they are called that have more than 3 sides?

Go back to the .svg and extrude it…

Feel free to scream.

4 Likes

You could try basic modeling. Not the greatest topology but not sure what you need it for. Hopefully it can give you an idea on how to do this.

Wheel_Test_V1.blend (1.0 MB)

Well I’ll be damned, I would have never expected this mess to turn into something useful when extruding, that usually never happens. Thanks for pointing that out!

Glad to have helped.
I don’t understand why it is going funny. Its bugging me. Usually its a matter of reversing the directions of curves to fix it. I guess its to do with different apps saving .svgs slightly differently. Done now anyway…

:+1:… overlapping curves sometimes do strange things especially when imported as SVG… but extrudeing them seem to “produce” some valueable normals…

You know, I would not have thought about that, but of course, you could start at scratch, but when all you have a svg and Blender, you think conversion to mess, ehm mesh.