Trying to get a job and not getting a job :(

I appreciate all comments, thanks for the help.

You can post images directly on this message board.
The link you posted does not let me view you images and just states “preview not possible”.

If you already taken an feedback from big studios, why not just following them (ideally with try to understand what they are talking about and why) and make two or three new work for portfolio?
The shots you shown doesnt look like a portfolio pieces, and doesnt look like finished works.

I haven’t use a forum in years how… Could I post it somewhere else?

It will require a tons of time to describe each and every moment. But lets take the obvious one:

Portfolio piece - should clearly show what you are capable of. Show what you can make a decent are realistic or “handpainted” texture. Or create a high-detailed sculpt, or make a nice and clean render of even premade by someone else assets, with a nice camera placement to make results eyes-catching/balanced.

What the purpose of work which are “tttttttt”?
If its a modular enviroment ready to be used as building block for games - show the pieces themselves.
If its not a modular piece for games - when what the purpose? Because here and there we can see the lack of polygons. It cannot be used for cinematic renders because of that.
In general whole work looks like a mess of mixed details without paying attention to any single detail at all.
White wall panels which are unsymmetrical for wierd reason.
Vitrages which doesnt look like windows at all.
Wierd green ropes for curtains which doesnt make any sense at all.
All materials look wierd and incorrect.

You can’t expect to get a job in digital arts field if you don’t even know how to attach a picture to a post on a most common forum platform.

Also, if you don’t have ArtStation and send people weird links, they won’t even bother to open them. Those people are getting up to dozens of applications per day. They have very low tolerance to getting their time wasted.

I think the first thing you need to do is nail down a portfolio. Get on ArtStation, get on Instagram, and post your artwork. That’s what everyone else does, and most people will probably ask for one or the other because it’s a quick snap shot of someone’s skill.

The next thing you need to do is clearly define what your niche is. You mention RPG’s above, so Im assuming that you’re wanting to get involved in the gaming world? Then why are you rendering things in Cycles?

If gaming is where your heart is, show that you understand that world. At the very least, use Eevee to render, or get used to using Unreal to render things, as most studios use it these days, and require props and environments that are optimised for it.

Then - via your portfolio - show that you have a firm grasp on what game devs are looking for. Show your model in real time, with all it’s details. Show it’s wireframe, with game optimised topology.

It might also be useful to pick one or the other: Are you an environment artists, or are you a props guy, that’ll model all the little bits inside an environment? They’re very different things that will require entirely different skill sets.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at any images by the OP but I know there are some very talented artists in here. You have to be as good or nearly as good as them, I imagine, in order to get noticed. However, there are small companies that may need someone to do a small project for them. If you live in a small town, then it’s probably pointless to go door to door for that. But in a larger city, anything is possible.

As an artist, it’s also important — and humbling — to realize that we may follow our passion in art but have to become a janitor in the meantime.

I have been a professional touring musician for much of my life, and a janitor for about 6 weeks. I’ve held a number of different jobs when I wasn’t gigging. It’s something we dreamers have to get used to… :slight_smile: Good luck with your art career. It’s never an easy ride for anyone.

1 Like

Moved from Focused Critiques to Off-topic Chat

So… the OP posted here “last” in 2018… his “portfolio” seems to have less than ten images (*) and now all posts here… are deleted…

Seriously ???

…What do you thing do all the replyers feel like now ??? And… you are totally unknown here… if you internet presense is also like this… :smirk_cat:

*: Haven’t looked into some mentioned (and deleted) URL and i’m also talking of some (also) deleted comment of the OP about “amount” of images in portfolio…

Well, 3D is easy to start as blender is free and there is a lot of resources available, but getting your first job especially without formation is quite tough.

Ask yourself if that’s really what you want to do, as you are probably going to need to train for a year or two at most to build an industry friendly portfolio.
At least you can use the forum to interact with professionals that can guide you first to progress, then to build an appropriate portfolio.

Start by doing something post it in the focused critique mentioning that eventually you want to become pro, and while critiques can be harsh sometimes try to make the most of it and keep practicing.

It’s a long road but if you really like doing CG that might be worth insisting.
It took me more than 5 years of training before getting my first job, these years where pretty long and scary, but now I’m pretty happy I kept insisting. But it’s a personal choice to make, some people find job much more easily some other never manage…

Eventually once you manage to get the first job the second is simpler to get and if things go well after 2/3 productions you start to become really in the industry and it’s way much simpler from there. But as said it’s a long road !

Feel free to ask if you have further questions !