Trying to make a 3D Pen tablet

Finally I could use the blender software :innocent:, then I tried to make a pen tablet model. I did the rendering with the Cycles engine.

Do you have any suggestions on the model I made?

1 Like

It looks wonderful. I would suggest to maybe add a few more loop cuts towards the ends of some of some of the cylinders. Doing so will fix some of the undesired shading in these areas.

1 Like

OK, thank you very much for the advice you gave me.
I’ll try to fix it again.

Are these results better than before?

1 Like

Yes, much better! Well done :+1:

1 Like

Okay, thank you :pray:

Tips are usually not sharp on these. Also the proportions seem off. It seems to be a very short or very thick pen. That’s perfectly fine if it’s supposed to be stylised, but a problem, if it’s supposed to be realistic and plausible.

It’s a very good idea to start with simple objects like this. :+1: If you are starting 3d modelling, you might want to practice replicating real objects and using real dimensions. There is no reason not to use real scale and it helps because you can simply measure objects you are modelling.

By the way, if you are looking for good modelling practice, have a look at any power tools:

Just look at those forms… If you can model this, you can probably model anything. This particular one is way too complex for beginning though and a choice of simple objects like your pen is perfect, but you can slowly increase the complexity and I just think tools are perfect for this, because there are so many different kinds to choose from. I think it’s very important not to choose something way too complex when practicing, but pushing yourself a bit out of comfort zone is also very important.

1 Like

OK, I’ll try to get a little out of my comfort zone, can I take the picture you shared for my reference?

You need way more images than one for reference, that’s just one random I googled. I would advise choosing a specific model, that has very good photographs from many angles, or something that you own and can photograph or just look at while working yourself. You need to clearly see everything, so something like 50 good photographs of something like that saw. :smiley: That’s too much.

In terms of forms I think something like this looks plenty difficult as next step up from the pen:

It seems it’s called “Bosch IXO V”. You would need to look for more pictures. Obviously, you can find something you like better. I mean in terms of forms and shapes.

I would expect it might get frustrating at some point during the process. :smiley: If that happens, good, that’s the feeling of learning at it’s best :smiley: I am a little bit worried it might be too much. You don’t want only frustration, it has to be fun as well…

I think it is extremely important that practicing has an element of satisfaction in addition to pain and misery. Both aspects are important in my opinion. Also if you don’t struggle, the satisfaction is not as strong.

I am jealous. :smiley: I do 3d modelling as part of my job and often get too tired of it to do it for fun on my spare time. I sort of miss this learning part you seem to be at.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’m learning 3D too to find a job. Will work be that difficult? :roll_eyes:

Not just to look for work, but I also like 3D modeling, because I really like being able to create a model with my imagination.

There are so many different kinds of jobs where you could be doing 3d modelling. I don’t think anyone can answer this. :smiley: But 3d modelling can be fun.

For me, personally, the technical part is enjoyable, the people is where it gets tricky sometimes. I do interior visualization and I get to model furniture quite a lot. Modelling is something that I enjoy. I mean, sometimes, not always, I am not crazy, it’s still work, but it’s still far from most annoying part. It’s quite simple for my area as well. Modelling kitchens and hard furniture is very easy, the soft stuff gets more complicated. But I use Marvelous Designer for cloth simulation and it is as fun as playing a video game. Very enjoyable. But very time consuming, so it might get stressful if you have tight deadlines. What I don’t enjoy is guessing dimensions of stuff, or what people mean when they describe stuff in uncertain terms, because it’s pointless and unnecessary problem the way I see it. But it’s there. It’s also quite annoying when manufacturers do not provide dimensions of their products or even good photographs. There is no reason for this. They should be interested to provide important information about the products they sell, but… it is what it is. For me, there is a lot of redoing and changing stuff, that I don’t always like. It’s part of the job when the client wants to see different things so that is fine and OK since in that case at least the work is useful, but often it is pointless when designers do not communicate their vision clearly or simply forget or do not care enough to mention important detail. The better the interior designers I get to work with are the more pleasant the whole experience is. So I would say the hardest part is doing pointless work, not the job itself when you get to do your actual job. Evaluating time you will need to spend on some job to come up with the price is also harder than modelling itself sometimes. :smiley: But that’s just one perspective.

“Pixel F***ing” is also one problem in the industry that has even deserved to have this vulgar(but very appropriate) term. Google it. This is what usually makes the jobs hard, not the technical part. It even bankrupts whole VFX studios sometimes. I also experience that to some degree, but it isn’t that bad for me personally.

I think there is a lot of frustration when learning, but you can find a lot of rewards as well, it sort of tunes down, when you have more experience. I would not say modelling is a hard job at all. At this point I never consider anything to be hard, but judge it by the amount of time it takes and if it’s still practical to do in the situation because of time. At least for me, every other aspect of the job seems to be harder than modelling itself apparently :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: So I guess what I am saying, it’s not hard. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow,
Thank you for the experience you have provided. Currently I am still focused on finding time to make 3D models in my busy schedule. Actually, I am very proud of myself if I have made a model that maybe other people think is not good, but in my opinion there has been progress compared to the model made before. I love the feeling of that process.