Tulip

^^ what he said… its gone from looking n00bie to looking like a cool work of art.

I had some good experiences with anisotropic materials for flowers (petals)

I’m not sure you’d get the same results in blender. you might have to tweak it a bit.

This seems to describe how to get “anisotropy” in the materials.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-242/material-features/

-a5’

Thanks for the tip, a59303. I couldn’t get to the link you provided(the Blender.org server seems clogged at the moment), but I’m messing around with the anisotropy setting in the RayMirror section. I’ve attached a few renders with anisotropy set to 1, 0.5, and 0, what do you think?

I’m using a stretched clouds texture for the veins.

Attachments

Well, the project is definitely getting better and producing more impact.

I like the blue, almost a neon.

the mixture of the cloud texture and the anisotropy in the ray mirror is getting the effect I remember, although you could also try (as an alternative) just the color and switch on “Tangent” shading under “Shaders” w/o ray mirror. This may lead to a product that is less computer generated than you where looking for but its more what I intended.

I do think they are looking more like tulips though.

-a5’

The tangent option is giving some weird shading results near the bottom of the flower:

Attachments

This is looking awesome. Good job.

although you could also try (as an alternative) just the color and switch on “Tangent” shading under “Shaders” w/o ray mirror.

I think I may have steered you wrong there, I did some further looking for info about anisotropy in blender and couldn’t find any accessible info–the ray mirror anisotropy that you had looks good, but as to the question which do I prefer?

I’ve attached a few renders with anisotropy set to 1, 0.5, and 0, what do you think?
actually, I’m not sure.

-a5’

Thanks for the input guys!

Anything else I should work on?

maybe the vases should have a more stable bottom.?

a5’

As in, the shape of the vase? I’ll try that.

Okay, made the base of the vase wider. I don’t notice much of a difference though.

I’m trying a couple different materials to lend a more “high-tech abstract” feel. I’ll post some more if I get anything figured out.

Attachments

Yeah! thats looking good. Cleaner that even the previous one too.

a5’

Yes, that’s because I turned the tangent shading off. :slight_smile:

Should I go ahead and call it finished?