Tutorial Links Donation

I set up a donation thingy using PayPal for my Tutorial Links (http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/u/tutlinks/). I’m having some trouble with all the free hosting services, and being that I am too young to legally work, I don’t have enough money to pay $10+ a week in addition to domain names to provide for a good webpage. My current goal is at least $60 for a 6 month setup with a domain name. If I end up getting $100+ I’ll get the 12 month setup. Any amount of money you could donate would great.

I plan to try to learn something of PHP and mySQL, maybe some ASP, and try to get a search engine for it. I’ve also been adding more to the Novice Course. Is there anything else anyone wants to see on the site? I could perhaps host a few sites/galleries/tutorials on it.

Again, the URL is:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/u/tutlinks/
The donate button is at the top. My mom (ddhand) is letting me use her PayPal account, because I don’t have a bank account of my own. :wink:

Anyways, thanks again,
VK

urm…what is wrong with your current page? Looks like you got all of the tutorials.

You might want to check out: http://www.iptic.com

Free 50MB hosting with no bannars.

What’s wrong? No CGI, PHP, ASP, or mySQL support. Constantly going down and up. Constantly changing plan. FTP service finally got fixed then went fubar again for a little bit.
Pretty much just unreliable and unstable.

again, check out: http://www.iptic.com

I don’t know what kind of server support they offer, but it seems pretty reliable.

Also, if you happen to have broadband, consider setting up a web server on your very own computer. Plenty of free stuff out there to do that for you.

Yeah, I’d be more than willing to help you out. Even if more than 50MB, because I’ve been looking for some tutorials lately and am sick and tired of tracking them down. I have PHP alread up and running and accessable to all users. I don’t have any CGI scripts set up for user access yet. Mainly because I hold everyones and my servers security over rushing to get something up, and CGI can be quite a risk if not careful. At the least people can kill your bandwidth or use you for spam if not careful.

But yeah, let me know what’s up and I’ll see what I can do.

my site is through http://www.mxhub.com… they have had some problems with their servers but they got that all worked out. i have php mysql and good storage and trasfer space for 70 a year… take a look at it.

I will check more on that.
I would host my own site, but my ISP (Bellsouth) doesn’t allow it and will disconnect us if they see us doing it.

I get annoyed at BellSouth, they simply created a bunch of little monopolies by breaking them up like that. Asheville has a ton of fiber running through it. But BellSouth won’t light it, even though they are right on top of it and the people that need it are across the street. And people are willing to pay, they just said they wouldn’t do it. So everyone has to keep their stuff in Atlanta if you want a good top-notch connection here. (we’re talking ‘oc’ type lines here, not t’s :wink: )

Already taken care of :wink:

heh i have nearly run out of free webspace that my isp offers too :(. And also plane to learn php etc. Altough to make money for more webspace i have got some text adds on a few pages and not to intrusive. I made 14 cents in one day.

Also how can i setup my own web server?. How much will it cost?. Also if i do my isp changes to our 3gb adsl cap for uploading how much of this limit will be taken approx if 30 people come to the sote per day?

Go to Apache.org, get the binary and install. Follow the instructions, put your webpages on the folder named “httdocs” and play with the configuration file if u want. If u need more muscle like php or pearl, you have to get the add ons for them. You can set up a php/pearl/http server using the foremention software all for fee, even for commercial purpose.

If u have the cash, i see some articles in one of the linux websites where some home users uses 2 broadband connection for thier use and for apache. Im not sure how this is done in particular, better make a google search or ask around at linux sites.

What would they impose on us next? Not allow us to use 2 machines to connect to the net? Companies with these policiy dont have the best practrices. You pay for your connection wether its 56k, 1mb, 1.5mb etc and it is up to you to decide on what to do with them. Mybe in the future they will tell us not to download files larger than 5mb so not to congest thier traffic. :frowning:

i think with my adsl connection the isp requires you to pay extra for each computer using the connection but no one over does so its prettry stupid. Its also the biggest provider in Australia :(. Could somone please tell me how much space would be used approx if 20 people come to my site each day per month from my 3gb download/upload cap?

Also with the use of apachie which i have but no idea how to use it. When creating my own webserver would it be usless unless i have a static ip address?.

Hey,

Don’t invest too much time or money in the tutorial links section anymore valar_king. We’ve been planning to add a tutorial links section to elYsiun for some time now,… and that will most likely be sometime next week.

Greets,
Timothy

does that mean we can just sybmit our tutorial links to it?

yeps

Ok, first question. It would really depend on how much you expect to upload these users per day. If your site contains no images, no large downloads, etc., it would be extremely insignificant. Best way I can think of to figure out how much would be to figure out what the average visit would be like (which pages they would view). Add up the size of those .html files and any images on them, then multiply that by 20, and you should have a fair estimate. Also, try adding up the total size of everything your making available, and multiply it by the number of users you expect… if you’d be under your limit with that amount, you shouldn’t have any problems.

For the IP problem. First off, with most cable and DSL systems, your ISP should change very rarely. I kept track of mine for a while when I was on RoadRunner in Hawaii because I had a MOO server running that I was testing out, I don’t recall it changing once the entire few months I was keeping track. But, it can change. If you loose connection for a long duration (several hours or more) your IP could expire and be reissued, or your ISP may just have a policy of reissuing IPs at regular intervals. Most ISPs will sell you a static IP, but it could cause problems. They may get curious as to why you’re getting it, and find out about the web server, if they have a policy against that, I wouldn’t get one (or they’ll want you to pay some sort of business or professional rate).

There are other options. You can get a service which will take care of the DNS lookups for your domain, and monitor your IP. When it changes, they update the DNS info. I did a quick google search for “domain dynamic ip”, most of the sites on the first page were relevant. In fact, the very first site offers the service for free, and sells more advanced services as low as $25 per year, as well as hosting email accounts @yourdomain.com, POP3 and redirecting at $30 a year. You should be able to find what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps,
Imp

umm with my adsl every time i reconnect to the net (when i turn comp on) i have a different IP address but only the last couple of numbers.

get a dynamic thingy www.dyndns.org is a good start. Set up apache,… 3gb will be well enough for you.

Greets,
Timothy

1. You turn your computer off?

Personally, I keep mine on 24/7… I hate waiting for reboot, and I’m more attatched to my PC than most… usually first thing I do when I get up is go to the computer, and last thing before bed is get off the computer (and turn off the monitor… that could do without 24/7). As I understand, it’s actually better for your PC… there’s not really much of any stress while running (unless your system isn’t properly cooled), and the surge of power going on/off as well as the heating-up and cooling down of components are more harmful. Only thing in the PC I can think of where this wouldn’t apply is the HDD because of moving parts, must most modern drives and PCs support great power-saving options. My HDDs spin down and go on standby after 30min inactivity.

Besides… if you want to use it as a web server, wouldn’t you run it 24/7 anyhow?

1. You connect straight PC -> DSL modem?

I’d be vary carful with this. Neither of the broadband providers I’ve used have provided any means of security. If you have no kind of firewall on your system right now and it’s Linux, I can’t help much, but if it’s Windows, stop what you’re doing right now, go to Zone Labs, download Zone Alarm, and install it.

After that, I’d like to suggest some type of home-router. I can highly recommend Linksys products. This is the model I’ve been using for over 4 years. 4 years ago, it was around $140-160 USD, but I think you can get them around $100-120 now, probably less. The only other one I’ve tried is from 3Com, and it’s a POS… could’ve killed dad for wasting money on it.

The home router is going to do 3 things for you.

1, it’s going to provide a high speed 4 port switch (100baseTX, “Fast Ethernet”), with a 10BaseT Ethernet port for the cable or dsl/adsl box. I’ve never actually been able to find any specifications on the backplane speed for any home or small office switch I’ve found… this one should be 400mbps, but probably not, though if it’s not, I doubt you’d ever notice it, I haven’t with 5 PCs in one house).

2, No matter how many PCs you run though it, your ISP sees only 1 device, the router. These things use NAT (Network Address Translation) to determine which PC to route packets to. The router gets the IP address from the ISP, and your PCs all use reserved private IPs (Usually the 192.168.1.2 - .254 block, and the router is 192.168.1.1). You can even set it up to use DHCP (default is usually to have the DHCP server on), with this, you won’t have to set up the PCs, they’ll automatically get all the network information from the server (on the router). The router then monitors traffic, keeping track of which internal adresses opened which tcp/ip sessions, and routes everything accordingly.

3, the NAT server on the router will also provide an instant layer of firewall protection. Mostly because you can only initiate tcp sessions from your pcs on the inside, and sessions cannot be started from outside the LAN (unless you set it up to allow that, and then only on certain ports). I used to know a good place on the net that’ll scan your ports for you (sales tool… because once they find them they can say, "See, you’re vulnerable, buy our firewall!) …last time I tried it was after I got the Linksys set up, not only were all my ports unavailable, they were stealthed (meaning they didn’t even respond with a “No, this port is closed” message). On the Linksys, you’ve got a number of additional options, such as selecting certain internal IPs that cannot access the internet (and the internet can’t access them, hehe), or certain port ranges. Although, if you really want to keep one of your PCs unavailable to the outside world, I’d filter the MAC addy too, just in case the IP changes, the MAC won’t (unless you swap out the hardware). Before I got this, I was running ZoneAlarm, I don’t know how many times per day (dozens, at least) that it blocked suspecious behavior (mostly portscanning, and other benign requests, which would open the door to not-so benign stuff), after I got behind the Linksys, it dropped to 0 per day, hehe… instantly noticeable.

Finally, no problems running your web server, you just enter the setup and forward that port (should be port 80) to the IP of the PC you’ve got the server on… just make sure you got that one buttoned down, always watch for the latest exploits for your server software, and keep up with all the latest patches.

I’ve put up a couple screenshots of the Linksys setup pages, which you can access (yours, not mine, hehe) by putting it’s IP addy in your web browser’s address bar, password protected (change the password as soon as you get it, if you get one, default is just “admin”), and it can only be accessed from the internal LAN (unless you’ve got some reason to set it up otherwise.

Basic setup page. Don’t know why, but I’m a bit leery about putting out the MAC addresses, I blacked 'em out. Notice the internal addy of 192.168.2.2 … this is because my dad bought the 3Com router because I needed a switch (ARGGGG)… the 3Com is on 198.168.2.1, and won’t let you reconfigure the simplest of settings like it’s internal IP (POS), so I had to change the Linksys and our ENTIRE network to work around it, but I still beat that thing into functioning as just a switch, hehe.

Port forwarding.
I’m not running any services at the moment, but in the past I have run a MOO server for testing, and forwarded port 7777 to my linux box. Oh, and one time, briefly, I had a friend who’s IP was blocked from an IRC server, so I forwarded another port and let him SSH in to log into the IRC server with my IP addy (I trusted him, and I didn’t use that server anyhow, hehe). Can’t remember what port that was… I don’t think SSH runs on the standard telnet port.

Can’t see it, but at the bottom there’s some more advanced functions… this part lets you forward ports, but they’re the same ports inside and out (you forward port 80, and it’s going to port 80 on your PC), but you can map them any way you like, such as forwarding port 80 to port 5000 on your PC… just a little more flexibility.

Dang… almost 7am… I wrote a lot… mull it over, I hope this helps some.

Imp

Oh, and the outside IP for the linksys is 192.168.1.2 because with my ISP, the DSL box gets the IP addy, and we use private addys on the inside.

I’m still not sure how it works, their tech support people don’t know anything about computers… I kept asking this one questions, and I was sure I was going to make him get frustrated and say “I DON’T KNOW! IT’S NOT IN THE SCRIPT!!!” lol. I still need to find out though if it uses NAT, or if it gets multiple IPs and maps 1-to-1… if it uses NAT, and there’s no port forwarding, I’m screwed from running any kind of services out of the house… it’ll even keep me from using file-sharing on ICQ, ERRR.

Imp