TV & cinema nostalgia

In the Netflix era I sometimes miss older productions. Like the hits I saw on Polish tv in the 1980s: Capital City, Dempsey and Makepeace, Hollywood wives, Return to Eden, MASH with Alan Alda. Also Kojak, Miami Vice with Don Johnson. Maybe not so much The Dynasty, Isaura, The Roots etc. Oh, and that War and Remembrance saga with Robert Mitchum and Ali McGraw. And what do you miss guys?

Hi Lukasz,

I miss the old sci-fi’s of yesteryear. Some of which were downright crappy but as a bright eyed geeky kid I just loved it. Some though were great. Stuff like “Space 1999” (re-watching it now I think the Commander can be a dink), the original “Battlestar Galactica” (I love Lorne Greene + he was great in Ponderosa), Buck Rogers, “Dr. Who” (with Tom Baker), “Twilight Zone” (with Rod Serling), “Babylon 5”, “Logan’s Run”, and even the low production value, low budget “The Starlost” (funny I’m currently working on a render with this series as an inspiration). One of the best series I would say that was cut way to early was “Firefly”!!

I’m a huge fan of MAS*H and still am. I also grew up watching “The Honeymooners”, “The Dick Van Dyke Show” (the old black and white version - Dick is now 96 and still got it), “All in the Family” (more relevant now then ever I think), huge fan of “Barney Miller” too, I think “Saturday Night Live” was way better back then also, “Maude” was surprisingly funny (from what I remember). For police type dramas I liked and that I can remember are Baretta, Rockford Files and Columbo the most. “Kolchak: The Night Stalker” was also fun to watch too. Favorite Canadian show at the time was “Second City Television aka SCTV”.

Sorry for babbling so much. Maybe I watch to much TV.

Cheers and stay safe!

Dr.Who and Columbo? Man, I’m not that old my parents watched Columbo, though. Talk shows, on a larger scale, started in Poland after 1989 and so did western sci-fi productions such as Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek: The Next Generation I watched as a highschooler. Until then we had i.a. Lem’s prose adaptations and other Polish productions with now cult Seksmisja or a strong sci-fi satire on feminism. Feminism so hard the women in the movie sentenced the only two men who survived to an operation that would have turned them into women. Good old days. Polish most popular “cop series” was, in the 70s and 80s, 07 zgłoś się about a lieutenant who closed hard cases with his colleagues, spoke good English and whose wife ditched him for a sheikh. It is cult as well. And so much more. And I was not bored.

To me, the shows were forgettable, but the actors and actresses were great.

Even today, I look at the cast-list of a movie to decide if I want to buy a ticket. “If they could persuade [XXX] to be on the cast, I probably want to watch it … if only to watch him/her do what (s)he does best.”