Tyrant 's sketches[Update 13-01-22] -Nudity Warning

Bad Drawing 142

torchlight 2/warcraft 3 inspired battle axe I am doing a hand painted 3D thread so I am going to model this and paint it in Blender

Bad Drawing 143

I am going strong with my hand painted 3d thread. I sat down and decided on my next project low poly chibi style street fighters. I needed a modeling sheet so with a great deal of references from the net here is chun-li, I am working on a cammy modeling sheet at the moment.

Here is a shot of how the axe turned out in 3d. (LOW POLY HAND PAINTED DIFFUSE ONLY)

Bad Drawing Number 144

Cammy is done.

really nice stuff, man. I browse through this thread every once in awhile, and I am always impressed by it.

@Modron thanks for the kind words

Cammy and Chun Li in 3d with hand painted diffuse only now to get back to some serious 2d work.

Any updates here? Looking forward to what is next…

Coming out of hibernation. It’s time to start making mistakes and learn.

Bad Drawing No 145
I drew some heads from imagination (no references) and from different angles. Let’s do this 100 times and see where I end up.

1 Like

By doing it 100 times without studying or references you’d gain muscle memory and not much more, imho.
Maybe you’re aware of it, but I’d spend that time to study really well how you can build “your own” heads with the formulas system by Riven Phoenix.

From tutorial 008 he does heads, this course is really worth the price: http://www.alienthink.com/skeleton01.html

Agh I already do that if you flip back a few pages you will see many studies from, Bridgeman, Michael Hampton, a few Loomis, Villpu and bammes ones. Trust me I have a pretty serious anatomy library, amazon.com loves me. I actually think too much of my work is studies at the moment.

So the 100 sheets of head drawings will be inter spaced with studies and other kinds of drawings. But what I will count as my 100 will be drawings I do after I have studied and put away the books to really see if I learnt anything.

I have found that when you draw while studying from a book or dvd the work you produce is of a higher quality then when you put the tutorials away. What I am interested in improving and doing a lot of this year is that work that I do on my own because it is the truer reflection of my skill, you only as good as your worst drawing.

Ah sorry, i’ve been derailed by these last heads which seemed off in perspective and some basic fundamentals, previous pages have some impressive stuff instead i must say. Keep sharing.

Regards

@marcoG_ita yeah the are lots of problems with those heads but I guess that is why I got to keep testing my ability to draw from imagination. I brought a book to help out with perspective but it hasn’t arrived yet. The will definitely be lots of perspective studies this year.

Bad Drawing Number 146

Another master study After John Singer Sargent’s Miss Mathilde Townsend. Ever since I saw Madame X in an encyclopedia I have always loved this man’s work.

Fascinating art journey. I like that you are trying out so many different subjects and styles of drawing/painting. Good work so far and can definitely see the improvement over the course of time…

I felt like painting something exotic and colourful. for obvious reasons this is a photostudy. It’s been a long time since a painted a still life so aiming for one soon.

Bad Drawing number 147

It’s time for some revision I picked up my copy of Figure Drawing and Invention for a second time read. This time I will slow the heck down pay more attention and do all the stuff I avoided last time around

chapter one gestures.

Photo references from characterdesigns.com, M J Ranum and Senshi Stock. The last time I practiced gesture drawing I was far too focused on drawing contours when the whole point of the exercise was to draw from the inside out, story and movement.

Bad Drawing 148

Something you can try is rather than copying the reference, try drawing it as if it was turned 15 degrees or so. It’ll force you to have to think your way through constructing the shapes and proportions and avoid going into “photocopy” mode.

That’s the nice thing about life-drawing is there are so many irregularities introduced (model moves, your view angle moves, etc) that you have to compensate. Studying from photos and things you kind of have to do it a bit artificially.

The frog turned out pretty awesome btw. Good value and color control.

Thanks I never thought about painting from a slightly rotated reference. I will give that a try. I live in a bit of an artistic desert I have been looking for years for a life-drawing class and I never founded one. Maybe I will start with self portraits some time.

Bad Drawing number 149

I cooked up another batch of 2 minute gesture drawings. All references are from characterdesigns.com. I am finding it pretty hard not to draw the contours of my references and to focus on the story.

Bad Drawing Number 150 - sketch book sketch

One step at a time … I want to do one sketch book sketch a week. It is time to seriously level up. All the things I am uncomfortable doing I will do.

wonderful to see you are still at this. your progress is great. love the gesture drawings, and the colorful frog is awesome. keep going, and enjoy!

Thanks doris I will keep on trucking…

This one kicked my ass especially the legs. weird weird, but I like the idea of this thief and it an idea I will revisit as I want to model her up like I did for the axe and street fighter ladies.

Bad Drawing number 151 another pencil drawing

1 Like