U.S.S. Shenandoah airship model and movie project

looking at a bunch of black & white photos of the USS Patoka, i’m not sure any of the masts were striped at that time. what struck out at me is the red used isn’t the proper color used .now. (should be international orange … a very specific shade of orange/red)… but that apparently didn’t become a thing until the mid 50s, well after the USS Patoka was decommissioned.

the same goes for the Lakehurst mooring tower, see era postcard:

there does appear to be a 2-color scheme on the mast on this pic, but not ‘striped’ like we do towers these days (whether communications or mooring)

(while showing as broken, it does lead to a photo hosted on wiki)

also note that the short (mobile?) mooring tower was indeed striped:

hehe, looks like even on the same base they couldn’t decide what to do… thus mebbe the standard coming about in the '50s. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, but that is colorized…if you look at the one I found, with the ship docking, there is no hint of any multiple coloration ( and I am assuming that the project is Just during that time frame and around Hanger 1 which has a specific Mooring Mast, and the circle with a rail system back to the hanger ( I guess in case the ships need to be moved, better than trying to fly over there)…and the Hindenburg was in 1937 so over ten years after Shenandoah’s time and we don’t know where that picture was at…
With the images of ZR1 at Lakehurst…all the masts look like your typical silver paint, and I think the top was Black as it had a bunch of lights as some signal system ( the whole top being covered in canvas to prevent tearing the skin of the ship…
Nice View of ZR1 and the Patoka

and another mastview…

One of the 5th and 6th engineers of the ZR1 ( Nice shot of the Door Skeleton)

3 Likes

Oh, WOW!

Thank you! You are right, I don’t know how to convert those files. That will help immensely!
Yes, I figured I might have to do some work on these to make them usable in a film, but it’s a huge start. Thank you for converting those. Looks like the Patoka is missing some textures. Does it require a lot of work to fix all of those?

This is great! I appreciate your help so much. I had almost given up on ever completing anything. The anniversary of the crash coming up has motivated me. They plan on hosting an event at the crash site in 2025.

I want to set up a repository for assets on a server somewhere. I’m not sure what works best for that now, you know, project organizing, storage and keeping track
of people’s work and progress if I can get multiple people involved. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I want to make all my assets available, models, reference photos, articles, and such.

Thanks again! Please let me know when I can look at those files.

Thank you so much for your help!

Not so much…luckily I have the tools…first off is the mesh that’s a simple read and save to new format ( FBX ) … I have tried OBJ but that tends to break in the conversion…then the next thing is to convert the Ascii FBX to a usable FBX…then a conversion of the BMP textures, as it is a proprietary file type that nothing will read, but Converter X has a texture converter that works for save as PNG’s…The model itself is just a matter of finding what texture is used as it lists only Diffuse ### which doesn’t match any of the actual textures so it is a comparison to the UV map to see what goes where…

The Patoka was halfway done… see previous paragraph…

I would suggest just using something like Google Drive ( even though it is slower than molasses)…Media Fire would work as there are free 10GB accounts. of course there is Dropbox… For an actual web page, there are sites like Proboards.com with free accounts but storage is minimal and it is best to save the files in a repository…

This brings us to Discord… which I really hate due to the Spamming and vulgarity and Biggotry that creeps into any account…it needs a dedicated group of moderators to try and keep things in check… all the other Twitts and tweeters I have no use for whatever.

I can get you the files later today … here is the High-mast…didn’t include the texture as it needs to be redone…
NAS-HighMast.blend (3.2 MB) Blender 3.3 file

Need to decide on a version for all to stick with or just Zip up the FBX. Also, nothing has been scaled ( need to check what scale MSFS uses for their simulator…) the High-Mast was set at 160’ according to this…

NOTE: NAS North Island Mast

A BRIEF HISTORY:

On 13, October 1923, a special USN board directed that semiportable mooring masts (160-foot poles of steel tubing 16 inches in diameter and braced by three sets of guy wires) were to be erected at Forth Worth, San Diego and Camp Lewis (Washington State). In August of 1924, it was decided that the USS Shenandoah (ZRS-1) would make a set of flights from her base at NAS Lakehurst to the West Coast and back, using the mooring masts at Fort Worth, San Diego, and Seattle (Camp Lewis). In accordance with this plan, the USS Shenandoah arrived at the Naval Air Station North Island at 2300 on 10 October 1924 and landed on the ground. She was then secured to the mooring mast the following morning, during daylight. She remained moored to the mast for the next five days, while some damage that was done during the landing the previous evening, was repaired. On 16 October the Shenandoah departed San Diego for Camp Lewis. On the 21st of that month, she arrived back at NAS North Island, where she was again moored to the mast overnight. On the morning of the 22 of October, she left the mast on her way back to her home airfield in New Jersey. When the USS Akron made her West Coast visit in May 1933, she was moored to a mast at Camp Kearney (now MCAS Miramar). The Camp Kearney mast was probably not the same “High Mast” used earlier at North Island, as shorter (stub) masts were introduced following an incident with the USS Los Angeles on NAS Lakehurst’s High mast in 1927. The Camp Kearney mast was used four times by the USS Macon in 1934.

1 Like

Thanks to RSEhlers for finding and converting this model of the USS Patoka! Of course this was a game asset, so it’ll have to be worked on to be used in the film, but this is a great start!

And here is the SketchUp model that RickyBlender found. It’s not the right hangar, it is in Lakehurst, NJ, but this one was built in 1942 for other purposes. I went ahead and converted it though, because it can serve as a stand-in for the correct building as I am planning shots. It is big enough to hold the Shenandoah. I appended it into the scene to do some rough blocking.

Here’s a shot of it in the hangar with a cutout of Commander Lansdowne.
My plan is to build a rough animatic as I go, and then refine it little by little as I go. This should prevent me from working too much on areas that aren’t required to tell the story, as I did working on that engine model which probably won’t be seen too much in the film. I don’t have a script yet, but I do have the history, photographs, pictures, and several books to go by. I plan to recreate scenes from film and pictures first, and then string them together in order on the timeline in a montage. I want to convey to the audience the enormity of this ship, what a huge undertaking this was for the United States to build. Remember, this was a hundred years ago and it was the first United States airship, reverse engineered from a captured German Zeppelin from WWI.

1 Like

did you try the NOVA site
i think i saw a TV show on this some years ago

they may have some references for these buildings for 3D anim
but not certain if available for free !

might be this one

have fun
happy bl

Hmm, not sure they’d share.

I did contact the historical society that has the museum at the site. I suggested maybe they could show the film when it is done. Haven’t heard back yet, but it’s only been a day or so.