Ubisoft joins Blender Development Fund

This is very good news!

And a fitting move IMO. Grease pencil matured into a surprisingly powerful animation tool and some of the works showcased have a style similar to the “artsy” part of Ubisoft (Child of light, Rayman, Valiant Hearts)

Hope it works and serves them well! Imagine the headline “Award winning ubiarts short animation made with blender” on some big sites in the future? it’d be amazing!

2 Likes

the next few years are going to be amazing and i think we’ll probably see more studios doing these shifts as they find their ways when working with open source softwares.
PS: the article is back.

3 Likes

it’s that famous snowball that’s getting bigger…

2 Likes

i think nvidia will do their part too when they announce RTX support

3 Likes

Nvidia ought to be doing their part already, Blender is probably one of the most useful CUDA popularizers around.

1 Like

what do you mean by that ?

I mean that I’m surprised they haven’t joined already. It would be in their own best interest to do so. Better Blender is more Blender users is more and better CUDA-capable cards sold. It’s not a huge market, true, but it’s an influential one since people who use Blender are the techies everyone else asks to build their PCs. Well, I guess that’s also less Quadro cards sold. :upside_down_face:

i think they will announce their donnation at the same time of the RTX support reveal

1 Like

Sure, and that’s good, it’s just that I expected them to jump in since the 500-series or so.

https://www.animationmagazine.net/technology/epic-games-bestows-1-2m-megagrant-on-blender-foundation/

This is more good news but i personally don’t like ubisoft and believe me i was close enough to see how they treat their staff!

And you will see it’s not going to be long before the ubisoft troll show up!

Not gonna make excuses for how they treat their staff, but they do make good games on occasion. :slight_smile:

ubisoft > bethesda right now > EA

1 Like

AFAIK Nvidia already gives his support by donating top tier hardware to the BF.

Don’t know if they are going to join the fund though, or perhaps giving man’s hour for contributing patches

Evil gaming triad :grimacing:

Prince of Persia was my favorite of all!

1 Like

Yeah, PoP and its sequels was great!

If I were to pick a personal Ubisoft favorite, I’d have to go with Beyond Good and Evil. I also enjoy the Anno series and the recent Rayman platformers.

Surprisingly Beyond Good and Evil is one of the very few game i never played and i don’t even know why!

1 Like

Well you should then :smiley:

The graphics and controls haven’t aged that well, but it’s still quite nice.

(I recommend the slightly updated PS3 version if you can get hold of that, the Steam version is quite old and was never designed for 16:9.)

1 Like

Do you guys still game ? for me it seems the more i age up the more i lost interest in games.

but well VR gaming is such a new discovery for me right now i don’t know if i can say that. there’s going to be VR assassin’s creed and splinter cell by the way for the oculus quest =

4 Likes