Ubisoft joins Blender Development Fund

Once or twice a year when a really good game comes out, sure, I game. I’m really looking forward to Cyberpunk. I also like buying and playing games just to see cool new engine tech in action, but I never finish those.

4 Likes

Yeah im the same. I like to see and experience a game but rarely do i finish them.

2 Likes

Most video games go for the easy and effective which is hyperviolence, dominance and addictive behavior, which is why older one grows, less desirable they become, as one sees behind the curtain so to speak. There are many games that do other things, they just don’t often get the mass appeal. I really enjoyed The Return of Obra Dinn for example. Would definitely recommend it very much.

Of course Cyberpunk 2077. Witcher 3 was fun, and the earlier games were very atmospheric with fun characters and writing.

Yes, VR is fun. Beat Saber with custom songs especially, as long as your wrists can take it. Stormlands is also one I’m waiting to get released. Also No Mans Sky VR looks cool.

2 Likes

Only thing to be afraid of is possible blender spin offs with dem subscriptions. Doubt they are just doing this just a good of their hearts.

I’ve always suffered from getting seasick really easily, so I guess I’ll never get to experience that, but it’s interesting tech to be sure. Maybe I’ll buy a VR set whenever Blender supports it. That would be cool.

They are doing this because it makes sense. When you consider the cost of a large company to not only pay licence fees they also have to support in-house developers.

With Blender they can make a long term plan to get out of license fees and direct in house development resources toward Blender improvements.

But I am sure it also feels good. Regardless it is a shrude businesses decision.

1 Like

Blender is already on subscription it’s part of the foundry offering on their cloud platform for example, also nimble collective

This why there is a giant thread on their forums that is promoting blender over Modo and they didn’t do anything about it since blender is a foundry product too…

However blender being GPL means they can’t have a custom version of it with any enhanced features without releasing the source code for it , so there is no real harm from it

1 Like

Actually, they’re not replacing licensed software with Blender but an in-house tool. So it’s less about license fees and more about just cutting development costs, I think. Works out fine for Blender either way since that means they have an in-house team capable of doing real work on patches and such.

As long as they don’t fire them. I hope.

2 Likes

rigging, sculpting, paintig, setting up scene in VR is just so easy.This stuff is the future.

what

blender is a foundry product ? what the hell ? did you mistype ? im confused
maybe i missed a post ?

Most interesting need to check this out. :+1:

Yup, that’s actually very nice of them. Spread the Blender love everywhere!

(to seasoned professionals most of all)

https://www.foundry.com/sites/default/files/two_images_and_title/2018-04/Athera%20dashboard%201.png

why is it there ? houdini too ? i don’t understant, why are they doing this ?

Why not, I guess. :smiley:

Because the license allow it and they can make money off it , they have an agreement with sidefx who get some money per user too

blender thread on foundry forum
The last two or three pages is open talk about people switching to blender .the whole thread is really since blender 2.8 started, have been promoting blender over Modo allot

2 Likes

I don’t know where you are getting that from. I don’t much care what they might have stated anyway. If they are supporting Blender there is definitely the angle to replace licenced software in the long run as I said… For sure. Absolutely. Stated now or not.

It is a big company and I know someone who works there. They use a lot of off the shelf software. All companies do these days even if they develop in-house.

But regardless it is an awfully silly point to argue in face of such great news for Blender, not to mention completely aside from the actual point I was making,

I am in my 50 and i still like to play games but there is that predictability after playing so many there is not much surprise anymore.

I like ARPG like Path of Exile and Grim dawn and the game i like the most so far was The witcher 3 wild hunt and Dragon Dogma the later combat system is simply the best in any games done to this day.

I still replay all the biggest classic title when i get bored like Farcry the first one, Dark Messiah of might and magic, Arx Fatalis, Dungeon siege etc.

In the shooter department i like the Doom franchise and the Shadow warrior one and of course Dead Space.

Sadly since i am making a game i cannot play as i wish but at least i get to play my game a lot! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, a man of culture I see. Those are all excelent classics. PS. there is no Dungeon Siege 3, agreed? :upside_down_face:

1 Like