Ubuntu Edgy Eft and Blender problems [SOLVED]

I was very excited to upgrade to the new Ubuntu, Edgy Eft, and see what great wonders awaited me. The first application that I installed was Blender. When I started it up, though, I got this message in the console:

guessing 'blender-bin' == '/usr/bin/blender-bin'
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_render.c function r300Fallback line 412
Software fallback:ctx->Line.SmoothFlag
Try R300_SPAN_DISABLE_LOCKING env var if this hangs.
File r300_render.c function r300Fallback line 409
Software fallback:ctx->Line.StippleFlag
File r300_vertexprog.c function t_dst_index line 184
Unknown output 13

The Blender window then took up the whole screen, covering up the toolbars on the top and bottom of the screen that should be visible in Ubuntu. I opened a .blend and the material colors in the 3D view were all green, even though they were of other colors and rendered correctly. The Blender version is 2.42a and I installed it through the Add/Remove Applications option in Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft. I didn’t make any changes to the system that should have affected Blender. I have read a little about a libGL problem, not specific to Blender, but I am not sure if this is the same as that. I have not found a solution, or even any ideas for one besides to wait for the Ubuntu coders to release an update that fixes the problem. If you can help me in any way, I would really appreciate your input and time!

Just a guess,

I think you need to update your graphics drivers as well, as you updated your kernel to a newer version.

krizu

Blender only working full-screen seems to be normal in 6.10, for whatever reason (i was suprised too, but other people have the same).
No idea about the display problems, mine is working fine with nvidia-glx…

krizu: Thanks, I looked around, and found how to update the graphics drivers for my ATI card on this forum (that tells how to for nVidia cards as well). I had to change the screen resolution after I restarted the graphical interface, but other than that it looked completely normal. When I started up Blender, however, I got another error message:

guessing 'blender-bin' == '/usr/bin/blender-bin'
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

With a little more searching on the web, I found the solution for this, too.

First of all, disable composition at xorg. Edgy has it enable by default but ati driver doesn’t support it yet.

Add this at the end of xorg.conf file:

Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “0”
EndSection
This small excerpt from the Ubuntu Forum was all that I required to solve this last problem. I made the necessary changes to my /etc/x11/xorg.conf file, and the materials in the Blender 3d View now appear correctly and no error messages appear.

Lynx3d: Blender still only works in full-screen, but I guess that is okay if other people have experienced this and it seems to be the norm for Edgy.

Opening fullscreen is default under linux as I know, if you want windowed mode you have to start blender with the " -w" switch. But you could also cycle through your open windows in linux with alt+tab.

krizu

Perhaps the word “full-screen” is getting confusing, or I did not explain well enough in the beginning. Here are three examples of the way I have seen Blender opened up on Ubuntu. The first image is how I was used to it on my old installation of Dapper Drake. Blender opened in full-screen but did not cover the Ubuntu upper menu bar and lower toolbar. (Note: I just edited it in the Gimp to look right, but it isn’t the correct dimensions of the screen) The second image is how it opened at first in Edgy Eft, covering up those bars. The last image is when it is opened in a window with the " -w" command. Since I like to see the menu and toolbar, I will probably use the last configuration. This isn’t that big of a deal, so I don’t know why I am even going to this much detail, but here is the info for you to see.

Attachments

Yes that’s exactly what i’m getting too with the different ubuntu versions…
I liked the Dapper way the most, but i realize it’s probably more of a bug than a feature that blender never was truly fullscreen (i know it also was on the mandrake linux i had before, but thought they just changed blender).

But, another guy told me something interesting: with beryl, you can get the old appearance back by “maximizing” blender :smiley:
Only problem, for me blender totally screws up as soon as i render something, doesn’t seem to like 2 OpenGL windows of one application at all…