ubuntu8.10 x32 + blender2.48a + yaf(a)ray

I install new ubuntu 8.10 x32
I want to use yaf(a)ray 0.1.0
When I download it and try to install I’m getting error, because I haven’t new blender 2.48a
I download it from blender.org and put into /home/me/3D folder, but yaf(a)ray installer don’t know about it. Installer see only 2.46 blender instaled with synaptic.
How to tell yaf(a)ray installer that I have new 2.48a blender? Or where I can download *.deb build of blender2.48a_x32 build for new ubuntu 8.10 x32?
Thanks.

there has been soft for ubuntu which makes .deb packages from a source…
Try to search here http://linux.softpedia.com/ … “.deb builder” “deb maker” “install maker” or something like that… hope it helps

can’t find it…
what another users of new ubuntu do?
or I am the first?

Yaroslav,
maybe this site: http://www.getdeb.net/ is of help?

Unfortunately…
Everybody talk that ubuntu is first user-friendly and modern linux, but we haven’t possibility to install the major 3D application! We have the new 2.48a blender more than month ago but any ubuntu guru can’t made *.deb installer?
Of course, I can unpack universal blender archive from blender.org and use it, but this is not normal installation, and yaf(a)ray 0.1.0 installer can’t find this new blender.

Always you can make it by your self. Don’t you think that blender gurus have more important tasks to do than make for you a .deb package while there is out there a LOT of automated solutions…dozens of .deb makers…try to use google, I am sure you are able to find it.

Yaroslav, I posted this for you yesterday in the other thread you posted in. I think it likely the problem is that 2.48a cannot see Yaf(a)ray, because it does not have access to the export scripts. I feel sure that if you change the scripts path in User Preferences it will be good to go.

paya - understand U, but google given’t any solution.
organic - I know about path to the script folder, Blender can’t see YaR because YaR not installed!!!
I CAN’T INSTALL YAR because YaR look for blender 2.48 in installed programs and can’t find it.
YaR can find only blender 2.46 installed with Synaptic - understand me?
I know that my english is not so perfect , so sorry.

I attempted to recreate your problem in on my desktop. I installed Yafray from the repositories & ran blender 2.48, which was detected. When I changed the render to Yafray it render the cube scene fine.

I recommend you go into Synaptic & un-install both Blender & yafray. I assume you haven’t installed Blender 2.48 with a .deb and are using the .tar.gz from blender3d.org. Re-install yafray.

If it fails you may want to open up Nautilus & go to View >> SHow Hidden Files, you’ll see a filecalled “.blender”, delete it. Then go into your Blender-2.48 directory and copy the “.blender” folder to your home directory.

I see, apologies, I did not know the .deb installed that way - I build my own, it will run in the blender.org official release, the installed .deb and some older versions of Blender. Maybe you could consider Yaf svn? It is fairly straightforward - there is even a script(Sevenblend) to automate the process.

EDIT - kit89, he is asking about Yaf(a)ray, not Yafray.

EDIT (again) - Yaroslav, where did you download Yaf(a)ray? The .deb from yafray.org is for Ubuntu 8.04 it may not install on 8.10

Yaroslav, I think I have an answer to your problem.
Try to find Blender 2.48 .rpm and use alien to convert to .deb

Deb Builder - http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/debian-builder

look in your /usr/bin for a link to blender and delete it as root, replace it with your own link to the blender of your choice as root.

when you install a new blender from apt-get or synaptic it should automatically replace that link. if not you need to do it manually.

Ok.
Thank U all!
But can anybody compile new blender 2.48a and yaf(a)ray 0.1.0 for new ubuntu 8.10 x32/x64?
It would be great, because all ubuntu users will migrate to new 8.10 from old 8.04.
Please…

hey Yaroslav_L,
i have a running blender 2.48a with the newest yafaray on xubuntu 8.10 64bit.
go to download the blender deb for you pc here:
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Blender
after this you might have to install this hardy package to get yafaray running:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libopenexr2ldbl

i hope i helped.

Thank U man!!!

rebegin - I want to thank U personaly!!!
But I have little problem.
When I press “Render” - for one camera rendering, I get rendering window and I see the process.
But when I press “Render anim” - there are no gui rendering window, but in console I see that animation are rendered. And after some time I get all rendered pictures in output folder.
Do U have the same problem?

I have the newest blender+YaR from svn (greenthumb script) on my ubuntu 8.10
but
Render anim give me error
Spot in scene freeze rendering

hey Yaroslav_L,

i’m sorry i cannot help you in anything connected to animation… :frowning:

Found!!!
Spot in scene freeze rendering ONLY when SpotBl=1
When 0.9 - everything OK