UDIM and masks - Substance Painter

Hello.

I’m working with a UDIM texture in substance painter but I’ve noticed that when I bake the curvature and ambient occlusion maps it bakes them individually, but then applies the first map across all tiles when I select it as a bitmap layer mask.

e.g. if I select the layer mask it shows this:

Do I need to duplicate the layer for every tile and change the mask? The documentation/videos from adobe is like totally lacking how to use these textures and focuses on only the baking (which is near unnecessary given it’s the same as baking a single texture).

Have you selected the option that enables UDIM work flow in substance painter?

This can only be done when you first create the file, I don’t think it is possible to activate it after you have created the file.

Yes - it’s working for smart masks for example.

I’m miffed on whats going on here.

When you select the map to use, if you hover over it does it have a number over the top?

1 Like

OK, I had just typed out an answer and then tried one thing and now it’s working.

I went into the mask after adding it, then deleted the “ambient occlusion” texture under greyscale and simply re-added it.

Now it’s working fine.

I’m so confused and it’s always annoying when the “have you tried turning it on and off again” thing works. The thing is, I tried duplicating the layer and adding a mask from scratch - that didn’t work. Deleting the texture then re-adding the exact same texture? Works.

Seems like you’ve probably encountered a bug (hopefully isolated to just this session or file). At least you got it working now.

1 Like