UDIM Support (officially) in 2.82 by Lukas Stockner; Development thread

Working on it.
https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender.git/shortlog/refs/heads/cycles_texture_cache

13 Likes

Quick update on the UDIM status - merging in the last 6 months of 2.8 progress has been even more work than I expected. The current status is that everything except for the workbench engine code is updated, I’ll handle that next. The merged code had a bunch of bugs, but I think I got all of the obvious ones. Should hopefully be done today or tomorrow.

Backporting all of the changes to 2.7x is not really possible, sorry, the code touches way too many ares that were changed as part of 2.8.

But even once it’s updated, it’s too late for 2.80 by now, so the new target is 2.81.

39 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this feature to be implemented for years, I suppose I can wait a little longer, until 2.81 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the update Lukas, keep up the great work!

Thanks Stefan and Lukas for all your hard work on UDIM! Obviously looking forward to 2.80, but also beyond that to 2.81, when all the nearly made it features land :wink: 2019 is going to be an exciting year for Blender addicts.

1 Like

thanks guys :slight_smile:

Thank you, I feel like it is always worth the wait when we get solid support for features like this.

5 Likes

UDIM & SLIM the bruteforce of blender 2.81 for sure.

1 Like

OMG, I need UDIMS in Blender so baaaaad for my workflow to completely ditch Maya! =((

3 Likes

Any words on this project? It’s still happening in 2.81?

Watch this for latest news on UDIM support :wink: https://youtu.be/qQZ9fXpXdtI?t=2856

3 Likes

If you want the latest news: I’m currently updating the patch to latest master (aka, 2.80 release). It might be done today - I’ve got 10h in a plane to Siggraph before me, not much else to do :wink:

34 Likes

Well, you could read a book or simply kick back and relax, maybe watch a bad movie or so…
You have options man. :wink:

3 Likes

Lukas, I love you sooooooooo much!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

See you at SIGGRAPH!

3 Likes

This looks like a good sign, UDIM is now in the Blender experimental build.
https://developer.blender.org/rB105d3fb41e283e18fffa39291de7f9efd0666417

Those who know where its buildbot page is can give it a try right now. Do note it’s not supported in the workbench engine yet.

7 Likes

Hi, it seams the build bot does not build, latest experimental Linux build is from 26.07.2019, other OS even before.

Cheers, mib

Indeed…

builder_experimental_wtf

what’s the difference between those and the one’s from the download section?

Hi, the experimental builds are used to add features/changes to master, start the build process once and revert back the change. User or developer can test on all platforms and discuss/report to this thread for example.
There was experimental builds for adaptive sampling, OIDN and now for UDIM.
It seams it does not work this time but Lukas can do it again and kick the build bot.

Cheers, mib

Ah, I see - thanks for clarifying.

It’s a bit confusing that clicking “go experimental” in the download section would take you to daily builds and not the actual experimental section. Graphicall on top of this is adding even more to the confusion. I was feeling so adventurous all this time. :smiley: