Ultra violet material?

Hello! I’m Marc, and this is the first time I write in the forum, although I have been solving many doubts here for a long time.
As I was saying, I have a question that I have not been able to find:

Do you know how I can make or emulate it, a material that is reactive to UV rays, like the corals of an aquarium? I attach a couple of photos.

I tried a search:

which led me to here:

hope that helps.

I asked about this a few years back. At the moment there is no easy way to do this - but I believe light linking will make it easier.

You’ll be able to make specific objects or specific materials reaction to just specific lights.

I believe this is coming to cycles soon.

Hi, I’m not that good with nodes/math but it looks like it works (the file at the link I posted).

I’m curious what is lacking in this file ( shader-fluo.blend )?

What it seems to be doing is simply mixing between a base material and an emissive material based on the position of a point light source (called “blacklight” in the scene).

This is a purely geometric relationship and not actually based on any sort of black light emission from the lamp, hence why it doesn’t work if you have intervening or blocking objects, shadows etc - there is no black light emission per-se.

You could in fact use any object or an empty as the “blacklight” and it have the same effect. Essentially the close your “black light” object is to your fluorescent object - the more of the emission material it mixes in.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the OP was looking for something that looked like it was under a blacklight. After looking at the file I wasn’t sure that the math in the strength input was doing anything other than you mention. I guess the important thing in the way I’m looking at it is the colors.

Yes I think that’s what the OP is looking for - and this approach may work for them, but it is quite a rough cheat.

Currently there is no way within Cycles that I know of to actually simulate a black light type effect using actual lights. Light linking may provide a way to do this - but I don’t know how close that functionality is.

Even with light linking though - i’m struggling to see how it would work. Light linking gives the ability to illuminate only certain objects using a light, however even with this, there is still no way to mix between a diffuse and emissive material in blender based on the nature or intensity of the incident light (which is what a true fluorescence effect would be based upon).

It may be possible to do in Eevee (as it was in Blender Internal back in the day), but i’m not at all familiar with Eevee materials and how they differ from Cycles.

Hello
Thanks a lot guys! this is very helpful! is just I was searching! thanks for the links!

in EEVEE you could make every mat like an emission and use bloom

that might emulate the fluo or phospho light for different material on objects

but no relationship to the light source per say yet !

have fun with fake UV light

happy EEVEE