Unable to access website on all “desktop”-level devices, both Windows and MacOS

Suddenly, I am unable to access the website, using any browser, on my MacBook. I turned on the Windows desktop to attempt loading the website from there, and I had the same problem. I am typing on my phone to type out this post.

I get an infinite “……” loading animation for all attempts to connect to the website via MacBook/PC. The only way I can interact with the website is via mobile phone. Clearing the cache doesn’t work. Using a different browser doesn’t work. Upgrading the browser doesn’t work.

Did you guys literally just break something a few minutes ago? Mobile continues to work fine. The website fails on Windows and MacOS.

Works on both my PCs with no issue. And my phone .

It was working for me just an hour ago. Then, it stopped, for all windows and MacOS devices for me. My iOS devices continue to access the website just fine.

Whoops, now it suddenly started working again… aaaaaand now it’s not working again. Something 100% went wrong on the backend, because that wasn’t loading for a long time on all my desktop devices. I only solved it by opening the chrome debugger (cmd opt I). RIGHT when that happened, the website finally kicked out of its infinite loading dots animation and the website on the MacOS device works fine now.

I tried with browser on the desktop and it’s stuck in a loop saying:

Uncaught Error: Could not find module `discourse/lib/theme-settings-store` imported from `(require)`

And it just loops that message over and over.

It was working fine for maybe an hour, and then the desktop website once again stopped working. Same error as what’s occurring above.

An interesting note: Whenever it happens, it seems that if I attempt to edit a post on mobile, while attempting to access the desktop website, that act kicks the desktop website into loading itself and teleporting me to my post edit window on the desktop. Something very strange is going on.

We haven’t made any changes recently, I suspect an issue on your end.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry to report, it’s just you. Try clearing your cookies and cache- usually incognito mode fixes these things

On Vivaldi (which i use on linux) there is this feature “Hibernate Background Tabs”… and sometimes if the browser gets too unresponsive… it’s just this… too many worker threads doing too much even if i do not look at them…
I guess it’s just the “modern times”… every site is doing soooo much… even if the user isn’t watching…

So from time to time i not only close some tabs but also restart the browser… and yes it helps…
Maybe it’s also because of using via mobile and desktop ???

This said: also no problems here yesterday, the day before and i have a tab with BA open whenever … :thinking: What you can close it ???

I wish that were the case! Clearing the cache was the first thing I did, but this was a problem which persisted on all of my desktop devices at the same time, only being kicked out once I accessed with mobile. If it is on my end, then it would have to be at the network level somehow, but the javascript still loads. No browser extensions, on chrome, safari, edge, and different devices.

I think @Okidoki might be onto something, where there may have been background tabs interfering with the javascript somehow, since it took accessing the website on a different device (under the same account) to stop the scripts from hanging on that “…” so I think a good first step is to ensure that there is only one instance of blenderartists.org open at any given time, if the problem persists.

Saying this for any time in the future that someone may encounter this problem and searches these threads.

1 Like

hmm… i’m quite able (and often do) have multiple tabs open to BA at the same time, and it’s also open on my tablet and phone… (okay, i might be a bit of a BA addict now :smiley: ) and none of these issues. very strange indeed.

1 Like

I’m glad you figured it out!

1 Like

Just to mention it:… You can always check how many devices are “connected” via:

https://blenderartists.org/u/YOURNAME/preferences/security

1 Like

If you have this on multiple pcs and different browsers and browserversions this is indeed strange. Eventually things like proxy server caching could cause it. Alternatively changing to another public DNS server testwise could be an idea.

1 Like

I wish I could say I figured it out, but I most definitely have not! I’m still baffled. Even in incognito mode, the site will randomly refuse to load on any desktop browser, on any system in this network, but it loads from iOS devices on the same network just fine.

I’ve tested this with Windows, MacOS, and chrome, edge, and safari, both inside and outside of incognito mode.

I still periodically have to type replies out via iOS.

It could be something network-related, but since the initial javascript loads, I’m not sure what sorts of terminal-based network tests I could run for the website.

I’d run tests on different networks but the randomness of the problem makes this quite difficult, as I would have to pack up and drive elsewhere and ensure that the problem is still persisting locally while I tested remotely.

It doesn’t seem like a DNS problem because the 5 loading dots are definitely content created by the website, even in cases where the cache is initially cleared and the browser has zero information about the website other than where it’s located. Whatever is happening is at a higher level.

If the 5 dots load correctly, it’s definitely a caching problem. It might not be the explicit browser cache you’ve cleared- maybe it’s your VPN cache, maybe it’s your temporary internet files, maybe it’s your router’s DNS history, but something either on your computer or your network is caching incorrectly and causing problems.

I’ve worked a fair bit in Discourse at this point, if the initial loader is loading then Discourse itself is loaded, the problem there is the front end → back end connection, and since it’s isolated to you, it’s a caching problem on your computer or network preventing information from moving front → back → front correctly

Does the issue happen when you’re logged in, logged out, or both?

Its hard to help here if you dont offer more info on your networks situation and far more if you dont do any tests we propose

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are googles public dns servers

You can also testwise use your mobilephones tethering to test your workstation with another internet connection.

And if you are in a companies network ask your admin.

1 Like

Oh… by the way… sometimes it’s not only the cache but also the cookies… somehow there can be some wrongly set cookie and you can’t figure it out…

( just deleting the cookie from some streaming platform solved the problem that every song only was hearable for 10 seconds… even if it was showing that it played further )

So maybe also delete the BA cookie… ??

1 Like