Underpass

“It stood before me. Silent. Sandwitched between the two pillars of concrete. A forgotten relic now left and forgotten, destined to rust in the shadows.”

One day I just felt like modeling and texturing an underpass. Then I made a whole scene for it and added robots.
The robots were inspired by the works of Simon Stålenhag

And since I got some feedback that the robot on the right might be ruining the image here is a render without it:

A quick tip to get good looking concrete. After you texture the concrete object, use the sculpt tool to add pysical changes to the mesh based on the texture. This will help break up any straight edges that look unnatural.

Here is a viewport comparison slider:

Comparison between the raw render and the final edit:

The robot was modeled in a completely separate file and then appended:

The bicycle model is from sketchfab, and I also used some textures and models from the quixle megascans library.

45 Likes

I like the mood. Specially the robots :hugs::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Reminds me of the electric state, love it!

1 Like

That was the inspiration! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I really like it, and I really like it both ways, but I can see how one might perceive the second robot as taking some of the impact of the main robot?

Yeah… Originally I only planned for the one robot, but then I spent so much time modelling and texturing the robot that I felt like I need to show more of it.

1 Like

Nice work… it does remind me of Stålenhag`s work. Love the ambience that you’ve created with the final edit. Good tip on the concrete and the sculpt tool…

1 Like

Nice robot, the detail below the base is insane, you can hardly see it. Thats dedication.

1 Like

What a lovely storytelling. Two robots are a must for my taste. It resembles a cat and mouse hide-and-seek scenario here. Love it.

1 Like

Thanks!
An even better tip for the concrete is to simply displace it with the image texture using geo nodes. That way you can save a whole bunch of time…