Understanding the Units

Greet you,
I’ve now looked at a few beginner tuts when it comes to specifying meters and millimeters etc., I’m totally confused, especially since the object should be created on the grit and not in the middle of it… I’ve seen that this works, I just forgot the ladder, does anyone have a clue?

Then all this specifying in MM or M or KM, etc., you have various input options that will give others completely independently of each other, especially since the SCENE menu allows you to specify the UNIT SCALE, if it is set to 1, the millimeter information is correct good. But if you press F9 and change something, nothing works anymore. Why are there such big differences? And does anyone have a good site where this is clearly explained? or good video?

how do I get the object to a zero line that all objects are on one plane, e.g. B. 2 plates? They should simply be at the same height next to each other. If you look at the parameters, that doesn’t really work.

The biggest grit from the entire field? Can this also be stated in units?

Greetings
DAB

I hope this helps:

1 Like

Wow - I remember doing his 608 bearing tutorial when it came out. Super useful at the time.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve done it but I have seen it. Yeah.

1 Like

I find it funny that you did everything like that, but no one can tell me anything about the measurements… because they don’t fit… laugh

I only use the default blender units. :man_shrugging:t4: I get too confused if I try changing to CM or MM or KM. One Blender Unit = 1 meter. That is all I need.

Objects are put halfway through the grid so they are centered at 0,0,0. This makes it easier for rotation, scaling, adding armatures, mirroring and other things.

Are they being aligned by their origins, not the base of the model? You may need to move the origin of the objects to its base. If this is not a good answer then please add an image to show what you mean - I am not sure I understand you comment correctly.
Also, I sometimes add a plane so I can snap the objects to its height. You need to set the snapping too to use Vertex, Edge or Face to snap to another objects mesh.

Snapping mode

Hmm. You are in 2.8. Yes you can change the size of the entire grid somewhere. It is of endless size in the new versions. I cannot remember where the settings are in 2.8. Look in the manual.

Units are used by most users as a reference and are not that important.

If you need Units, you need them to do something like CAD.
The typical ones are architecture and interior design.

They also select only units (mm, cm, inches…) and do not change the settings. :slightly_smiling_face:

You can use the Itrm tab to move the location to numerical input or check the current location.

saa

Thanks for the effort =)
After a long search I found something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI49VIcISaw

1. The RESIZE menu at the bottom left cannot be accessed separately? You say it’s called Adjust Last Operator
    The data there is not correct, regardless of whether it is MM or M or something else, how are you supposed to work decently and correctly? If you work with default, i.e. 1 then the menu in EDIT mode is not correct, that confuses you and I can’t guess how it calculates… you?

2. But I want to work in MM and not in M

3. How can you create different layouts that save data so that you don’t have to constantly re-enter everything? I created a test layout / changed and saved a copy of the original parameters there, unfortunately the original is also overwritten. Can you create separate layouts that are independent?

4. Scale and dimension are only available in object mode? I don’t understand the point, since I want to provide information about editing the object and these things can only be done in EDIT mode.

5. Hey? So I set my DATA in EDIT mode, then have to save or confirm it with Apply Scale EXTRA so that everything is correct in EDIT mode? Is the Adjust Last Operator also correct in the RESIZE case?

6. The units are used as a reference by most users and are not that important, you say? How exactly do you want to work there? I don’t really understand it.
    Where can I find tuts for spacing objects from each other? I need data so that I can place things in the 3D world that have a certain proportion to each other.

then you say: If you need units, then you need them to do something like CAD.
Typical areas of application are architecture and interior design.
Is Blender that inaccurate?

then you only select units (mm, cm, inches…) and do not change the settings. You have to adjust the rest too, otherwise all the DATA won’t be correct, see video

You can use the Itrm tab to move the position for numeric input or to check the current position.
What do you mean ?

if it’s a lot ^^ laugh out loud ^^ I think I’m still capable of learning hahahaha =)

It may be difficult to convey the exact meaning because I am not an English speaker. :smiling_face_with_tear: :sweat_smile:

1. The menu at the bottom left is to change the settings for the last function you ran.
    Resize comes when you scale. (Scale is a percentage, not a dimension.)

2. If you set the default setting to mm and select File → Defaults → Save Startup File, the default dimension starts with mm.

3. Only one default setting is allowed, and for a separate layout, see the video (change the layout and save by the method of 2)

If you want to do everything in a style you want that’s not the default workspace, you have different settings.Save and manage as a blender file.
※ Creating a default working page in library format is the way workers use it in all software.

You can open and use each saved default file before you start working.

1. I don’t know what it means… Please refer to the video
  1. There is a difference between the scale in object mode and the scale in edit mode.
    Scaling in object mode changes the scale value.
    This requires initialization (Ctrl+A) because the actual size and numerical ratio are different.

2. Please refer to the video

Blender is not a tool for CAD operations.
So CAD work is inevitably inconvenient, and each person solves it in their own way.

The YouTube channel in the link you attached will be the most active lecture for CAD work at Blender.
Keep Making - YouTube

Add…

They’re both the same function

2 Likes

Arrays. Either using an array modifier or using Geometry Nodes and instancing objects onto a mesh line or a curve. A basic array…

Green circle is length. White circle is instance count. If you change Count (Gray circle) to length then toe spacing stays constant when you adjust the length. Red circle is the object that appears at the points.
So you make a line, subdivide it as needed and instance something on the points.
Add a second instance on points and you have a grid.
Add more things and make a node group. Add the node group anywhere in a GeoNode setup and plug an object into it…

Array Or Grid.blend (148.7 KB)

Add that to your asset collection and you can drag and drop it into your files.

The group is still editable - click the group icon
Group Icon
to open it.
Any object to be instanced is called using the Object Info Node (or Drag and drop from the outliner or Asset collection).

Is blender inaccurate? 100ths of a mm accuracy.

Go read the manual. It will save you from wondering what is available in blender. It is in multiple languages.

1 Like

Look up Templates. I have never used them, But they seem to be so you can create different setups.

In version 4.0 there is a new thing called a tool Mode. You will basically be able to make 3D macros. And have them in your menus. It is a totally new way for all of us, so it kind of seems pointless telling you how to do things. In the new version some basic concepts change totally. We all have confused (or excited) looks on our faces… :upside_down_face: :grin: :rofl:

1 Like

Cool, thanks,
Yes, you know that the aperture is not intended for CAD, but you can still work precisely, right? When you look at what Blender can do and imagine that nothing is calculated with dimensions and distances, I wonder who did that? Purely out of feeling? Laugh

Things change so much again in version 4? Then let’s look forward to it… you’re just getting used to it and ZACK it’s different again… do they want to keep our BRAIN on track or don’t they agree on what good leadership means? laugh

Now thank you, I’ll study it =)