Understanding UV Mapping

Hello everybody!
I’ve been using Blender for a month now, I’ve read some of the threads here in the forum and it seems that UV Mapping is the best when texturing a complex model. I read the great tutorials by Modron and GreyBeard but I need more help on this area.

I’ve some questions for you, please don’t laugh as I’m new to this UV mapping thing and would like to know how it really works.

Ok now, from what understand about this process is that you unwrap the model selecting the different faces that encompass it, selecting each of the different vertices in the model.

After unwrapping the entire model you have to load an image in the UV Image Editor and map the texture to the model, specifying which part of the model will be textured with what part of the Image, ok?

Here’s my real question: Then what? I read at GreyBeard’s toturial that you can export the UV Face Layout, but then? What’s that layout for?

What’s the real use of an UV Testmap?

Thanks, hope you can help me! :slight_smile:

:smiley: Question is simple enough. After you get the UV layout exported you can use programs like GIMP or Photoshop to paint your customized textures. The UV Layout just provides an outline so you know how you should paint your textures. It basically unwraps the 3D model and makes all it’s surfaces into a 2D layout.

After painting your texture you can open it again in the UV window and if your layout is correct, the stuff you textured using that program will be displayed on your character.

GreyBeards tutorial is pretty cool. However, the upcoming 2.34 version of blender will have LSCM, making UV mapping a whole lot easier.

Hehe noticed I didn’t answer this question.

What’s the real use of an UV Testmap?

I guess it helps you when you paint the textures. It allows you to know what your painting and where it’s going onto the model.

Jason Lin

Also, helps you find any places where the texture will stretch.

Thank you for your replies guys, they helped me. :slight_smile:

Just one thing, do you know how to show different areas of a mesh, like GreyBeard did on this image http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/mat.jpg

the monkey mesh is displaying lines showing the different areas of the mesh, and I think you just select this areas instead of selecting each vertice when creating the UV map.

thanks

-filter.

Also you might want to take a look at :
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11889&highlight=landis+tutorial

By landis …

And for extra information on uv mapping try this link too … it’s a lot of reading but it will help to get more knowledge:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=77484

md01

Just one thing, do you know how to show different areas of a mesh, like GreyBeard did on this http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/mat.jpg

the monkey mesh is displaying lines showing the different areas of the mesh, and I think you just select this areas instead of selecting each vertice when creating the UV map.

To display the wireframe like I did press “optimal” under the subsurf buttons. Then press F7 and under the draw pane select “wire”. This only changes the appearance of the mesh and doesn’t change the way you select faces.

I selected the various areas for my materials by selecting verts (turning on “Draw Faces” helps). This is easy to do once you learn some shortcuts ie:

h: to hide verts in the way alt-h makes them reappear
b: box select
bb: selects all verts in a circle (scroll wheel adjusts the size)
ctrl-numpadplus: increase the size of the already selected area, similarly ctrl-numpadminus
alt-b: edge loop select
alt-b twice: face loop select

From the menu you can invert the selection etc…
Using these shortcuts it only took maybe 5 min. to divide the mesh into its various materials. It is possible to select faces in UV Face Select mode, but the mesh is shown solid white which makes it difficult for me but you may find it satisfactory.

Hope this helps
GreyBeard

edit
two more good shortcuts:
ctl-alt-rmb selects verts by edges (with shift as well it appends) also using the right mouse button with box select removes those verts from the selection.

Thanks for the links, md01, they’re really helpfull, and also thanks for the info, GreyBeard, your UV tutorial is great. :wink: