Undo affects tools settings

I couldn’t find a task for this, undo affecting your settings is really annoying.

Undo shouldn’t affect any of these settings whether it’s the brush size,strength or falloff, this is how it should be, are the Devs aware of this?.

Undo

4 Likes

Brush settings are suffering from this for quite a while…
https://developer.blender.org/T71759

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll add my voice there too.

The developers have been alerted of this issue for a while now. Very irritating though, I agree

1 Like

FWIW, I actually use this feature (undoing properties) quite a lot… especially when testing the behavior of one value for a tool property compared to another.

1 Like

But not practical when you want to do any real work.

Strange to imply that I’m not doing real work. I often test changes in tool settings while I work.

2 Likes

In a way it makes sense, if you are undoing a step, you probably did not like the number you put in the tool :slight_smile: I am not saying one way or another is right. Probably this should be optional.

1 Like

Usually when you’re undoing while painting is because you didn’t like the stroke. What’s the most common operation you’re doing while painting? It’s, well, painting. Changing settings shouldn’t be conflated into one action with a stroke. There are exactly two “right” ways here: those changes should either be undo-able as a separate step, or not at all. What happens now is just awful, even if @Fweeb likes it. What’s worse, it’s inconsistent between modes (in texture paint, for example, this doesn’t seem to happen).

I get the point, I am not for it myself. I have this similarish issue when writing scripts in the text editor. I generally end up undoing my code typing not the result of the execution in the 3d view (even though my mouse hovers over in the 3D_VIEW). This is not the same issue since one I described is context focusing related. However unexpected undos are a bit of a problem in Blender for sure.

1 Like

Yup, very annoying, that one. IIRC, it may in fact be the same issue, at least the same cause (undo restoring previous state of the scene), though it’s possible I don’t RC.

1 Like

not implying but saying it’s impractical in general,You might like testing and don’t care if it undo your settings but for me & others this is a big annoying problem. in all 3D Softwares that I have used this wasn’t an issue except in Blender, there should be a way to disable this effect for tools settings.

I think it’s not so much that undo affects tool properties - that is a debatable issue and could often be desired.

The issue is that it goes two steps back with only one undo action. And that is clearly a bug.

1 Like

Can I quote you on that? Because

1 Like

That’s not often, it’s just “the Blender way” even if you look at the 2D Painting Softwares like Photoshop or Krita they don’t have that by default, because if you do few strokes and go back then you have to be mindful of any changes, Blender even undo your brush type.

1 Like

Ah, that one is the other way around, if I understood @William correctly. In Krita, for example, you just don’t undo color changes, brush size changes, etc., at all. E.g. if you make a stroke and then change color, stroke is undone but new color remains. This goes back to the “two right ways” I mentioned above - whether to allow undoing such changes at all. But even if they were to be allowed, clearly that should be done in a separate step, not together with a stroke.

I understand that it should have a separate step ,but I am actually against it having undo steps in the first place.
If changing settings it means it should remain that way for as long as to another change happens.

1 Like

So i’m not the only one to be driven crazy by this behaviour :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was developing an add-on for a while which was suffering from this exact problem. Any time the user adjusted the operator from the lower left corner of the 3d viewport, or used the undo hotkey, it would change a bunch of settings in the add-on’s scene properties.

Turns out, the whenever you undo, you’re undoing the entire scene, which means, any scene properties you change get subsequently reverted. If you change 10 settings, well, you just have to redo those 10 settings.

In my case, a fellow forum member came to the rescue and provided me with a way to capture those scene properties PRE undo, so that they can be set back to the user chosen values POST undo.

This worked great for me, but it’s not exactly the best solution because it requires watching for undo events, and it only resolves problems for my add-on. This behavior does not solve anything for built in blender properties… unless, the blender devs want to mimic this same behavior, which lets be honest, is a horrible band-aid for a problem that would resolve itself with a better Undo system.

1 Like

Is there a solution yet?