Piece done as an entry for the challenge hosted by XP-Pen and 3DBlendered page.
Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YB0a5V
Incredbly fun challenge to do with the limitation of using Blender for almost the whole process. So the model was sculpted all inside Blender, with the texturing done in both Substance Painter and procedurally in Blender and then rendered in Cycles. Even the final compositing of the video was made inside Blender.
This is impressive.
Not just the creature work, but this being evidence that Blender’s sculpting tools are actually getting somewhere.
The people in the big sculpt thread might be interested in the technical details.
Thanks for the nice words! To be honest the technical details are pretty simple, I just sculpted the blockout in dynamesh, done a retopo and used the multires to add some scales with an alpha.
Here’s a reel I posted that kinda highlights the sculpting process: https://www.instagram.com/p/C4LcCcwqoiP/
The highest subdivision level is around 2 millions poly.
I was very impressed by the speed of the baking normals from the multires, way faster than baking other maps and even faster than painter!
I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!
You’re on the featured row! ![]()
Thank you so much!
Very cool concept and incredible detail. Awesome!
I give you grade 10++
Hello everyone,
Presenting the “Behind the Scenes” article for this incredible artwork!
Feel free to explore the article written by the artist himself. It takes you through the detailed process of creating the artwork and offers valuable insights into sculpting and character designing in Blender.
Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn


