Unlink Animations

Hi there

The problem I have is that, when I link the animation of one bone to others (so that they move the same way), when I want to modify the animation of just one bone, all the others move and copy the modifications that I make to a bone.

I would like to know how to make that once the animation of a bone is linked to all the others, unlink the bones from each other, so that when I modify the animation of one, the others do not copy this modification.

As you can see in the image that I show you. By moving the animation timeline of one bone, the others move. I want to prevent the other bones from copying the action, so that they are independent.

Thank you so much.

When animation data is linked, what it means is that both objects share the same action. You can make an unlinked copy of an action in a similar way to how you might make an unlinked copy of a material, or a node group, or a geometry nodes modifier: you find where the datablock is referenced, and you click on the number of users to create a new, unlinked copy for the selected object.

In the case of actions, the right place to find this data block is in the dope sheet, in action editor mode:

See the tool-tipped number? That’s saying this action is being used by 2 objects. If I click it, this action will turn into ArmatureAction.001, unlinked from the original, and that number will disappear, because this action is now only being used by a single object.

1 Like