Unlinking Animation Data in 2.8

Hi,

I have a parent object with keyframes. Its children are linked (Ctrl + L) to its animation data. How do I unlink that data without deleting the parent object? There’s no tab for it in the properites in 2.8 anymore.

Try the Make Single User menu, from 3D viewport object mode. For me, this is ‘u’ (for unlink)->object animation but of course Blender 2.8 has forked interface.

Hm, I found it in the menu but it does not always work reliably for ‘selected objects’. Some object keep theier animation data.

I’m confused by the keymap aswell: U is already assigned to ‘Make Single User’ (nla.make_single_user) but it won’t react in my viewport. What does NLA even mean in this context?

edit: It works in the outliner aswell with the ‘Unlink Action’. You can’t assign a key to it unfortunately.

I think of U as being “unlink,” but I guess technically it says “Make single user.” I’m using it in 3D viewport. NLA probably means non-linear animation editor context. I don’t know if it retains the animation and just unlinks it, you might have to delete the keyframes after unlinking it but it ought to be working to unlink, so that’ll just be deleting keyframes on the selected object rather than its parent.

Open a dopsheet window set it to action. Select your child delete the action.
That s it

So a couple of errors occur:

When I select the object and choose ‘Make Single User’ I get the Error ‘Not yet implemented’ and when I unlink it, it gets deleted. Like completely.

@skuax What do you mean with “delete the action”? I’d like to unlink the data (the keyframes to be more specific) from it’s linked parent. So reverse the effect of Ctrl + L > (Make Links) Animation Data.

If you press the cross button. Delete. It ll removes the animation from this object and keep it on the other one.