Unpinning cloth during animation

I don’t know if this should be posted here or in the physics area, but I’ll start here. I want to do an animation, such as a flag on a pole blowing in the wind (which I have done a few times), but now I’d like to have the flag fall away from the pole and blow away, so I’d like to unpin the vertex group at a certain frame in the animation. Is this possible? I couldn’t find any values that I could keyframe to do this.

You can use a Vertex Weight Edit modifier to change the vertex weighting You can keyframe the options on/off in the modifier. Note this modifier needs to be above the cloth modifier. I have set the original weight to 0.99 so its below the remove threshold setting in the vertex weight modifier

See the attached demo blend

Attachments

cloth_weight.blend (161 KB)

Thanks for the help. I tried this but I must be missing something. It doesn’t work for me. I don’t know how to attach a file, but I would if I could. All the values in the modifier look the same. I can see that the “Group Remove” button changes from checked to unchecked at the proper keyframe, but the pinning stays. One thing I don’t see is where you say you set the weight to .99, but which weight and where? I don’t see any “.99” in your screen image. Could you explain a little more please?

Weight of the pinned vertices is 0.99

I found it soon after I posted my last, but thank you. It works now.

Hi,
I know it’s been many years, but what you’ve done with unpinning the cloth during animation with the modifier Vertex Weight Edit is exactly what I seek. However I followed your pics and download the file, and studied that, to no avail.
I’m using Blender 2.79b. Can you or anyone tell me why I can’t unpin cloth during animation? or direct me to where I can accomplish this. :confused: