Unrigify (rigify to unreal)

This is a longshot, but maybe someone would be interested fixing the script below to Blender 2.8.
The original script is here:

It was featured in an epic livestream:

what it does: creates a new skeleton from rigify (only from the deform bones) constrained to the old armature. The process is customizable (hiearchy etc) and then bakes the animations made with rigify to this new rig.
The first part, ie creating the new skeleton, still works, but the copy of animations fails. It can be done manually

It is very useful for making a game engine friendly skeleton which you can animate with the rigify rig and apply mocap animations inside Blender.

I made a simplified version of the script which no longer checks rigify version and some other stuff:

unrigify_orig_twist.txt (16.0 KB)

I also made some modifications which make the twist bone hiearchy the same as in ue4 (ie the hand is not parented to the twist bone, but to the forearm). The script above creates the original hiearchy, but we could discuss later how to make those changes… first it should get working.

Here is the newly generated skeleton constrained to the rigify rig. (this is my truncated script, I’m not sure if the original is still working as it had several validate steps which I removed (needed exact bone numbers for different rigify versions))

the process here dies with errors and the new animations (which are rebakes from rgiify to the new rig) are not made.

Just a sidenote- but you might consider a different name. To me, “Unrigify” sounds like an addon that specializes in stripping out rigs and animations to create static posed meshes.

I duno who called it unrigify first… it would come from unreal and rigify, but anyway, since then someone did make the upgrade, everyone interested can find it here:

1 Like

this one doesnt seem to work i mean it imports it perfectly but there is no animation and its still in tpose ;-;

Hi! This is a really needed addond! Sadly I can’t make it work with blender 2.90.1.
Here is an attached screenshot, on the left is export configuration, on right is the file imported in blender, just an empty object, what could I do to make the export work?

Thank you very much.

Edit, additional questions: what does Unrig and Clean Constraints do?