Unwrap Me is a Blender plugin for a different kind of UV unwrapping workflow, instead of creating seams you “grow” UV islands directly on the mesh. It’s loosely based on a paper called D-Charts.
You can watch this demo for the basic workflow:
- You will have to fix overlapping charts yourself currently
- Processing can take a few minutes depending on the number of faces, it’s currently all Python which can be slow. Optimisations are planned, in the future it should be almost instant just like Blender’s Smart UV Project.
- It won’t unwrap for you, it only creates the seams
- You can only straighten one seam at a time currently, try not to select multiple seams until it’s fixed
- No symmetry detection, it helps to “split” symmetrical meshes with a seam before working on these
- If your mesh is made up of separated parts they’ll need to be processed individually
Dream of the future:
- I envision the final plugin as giving you full control over growing seam islands straight on the mesh, moving them around, regrowing the ones you don’t like, increasing / decreasing their size and shape etc…