UPBGE 0.2.5 Give Data From .blend Files

Hello everyone!

• I came across a video called “Test asseto” of a channel called “Atomic Skill” recently and the system it made surprised me =

• Test Asseto. Highland map huge on upbge - YouTube

• At the beginning of the video I saw that he stored all the models and skins in separate .blend files,

• then just added it to a .blend file and it’s “532 kb”!.
  • how do i do this? can someone explain to me?
  • Thanks in advance for your answers.

It seems like he is using just group instances linked from another blend file. They are references that are updated when the original objects are updated, so you don’t need to model every tree or street on your scene, just the original objects.

1 Like

As you might see, in his 3D viewport all models are highlighted with “blue-lines” instead of “orange-lines”:

This indicates he’s using Linked instances, which are basically visual imported placeholders that are there for visualization, but not for editing (that you need to do in the original imported blend files). You link in objects by going to: Info Editor > File > Link or use the shortcut CTRL + ALT + O instead:

You can also use the BGE KX_LibLoad module to dynamically load in your assets at runtime: https://upbge.org/#/documentation/docs/v0.2.5/api/bge.logic.html#bge.logic.LibLoad

The Compress File setting in User Preferences can help achieve optimal file size as well:

1 Like