UPBGE 0.36 Alpha for macOS?

Just wondering if UPBGE 0.36 is going to be released soon, as I saw on the site that UPBGE now has 0.36, and there is now Linux and Windows, but no MacOS release as of yet. This must surely be around the corner. I am curious to try it out.

Will UPBGE 0.36 have Metal integration in the Mac version? And will EEVEE Next be compatible, because it is currently unusable as of 0.35 (no shader buffer or whatever). I’m looking forward to a faster UPBGE, as it is simple and enjoyable to use and see your creations come to life in the player.

Back to the topic, is a Mac version of 0.36 imminent? I’m looking forward to a day when UPBGE can be good like Godot or Unity.

Yeah, I will do a new mac os build in a few days. Metal integration doesn’t work yet as it crashes UPBGE in my mac. I’m investigating how to fix it.

The “Metal integration doesn’t work yet as it crashes UPBGE in my mac” seems to be an issue with how UPBGE is trying to get/compile shaders from the graphics sector of the M1/M2 chip it seems. Just theorising here, it may not be the actual fix, so please don’t take it as a grain of salt.

By the way, is 0.36 faster by any means? Each UPBGE nightly release seems a tad faster, although not much. Is EEVEE Next also going to finally work, as GPU vertex displace will help lots with animated ocean modifiers, as they can be very taxing on the CPU which can slow down the player, especially when repeating the ocean.

Just checked now, still no UPBGE 0.36 for macOS. I assume Metal integration would solve the unsupported gld texture unloadable message that is displayed in the console on Apple Silicon macs, wouldn’t it?

I assume the reason any shader that uses a glsl script is black or red on vertex objects on silicon macs is due to the way M1 uses the new Metal pipeline, which is not compatible. Proper Metal integration into the mac version of UPBGE would eliminate this issue and make object shaders and vertex shaders possible instead of just having 2D filters.

Can you work on new rendering and animations while you wait?

Update: When I use UPBGE 0.36’s Metal backend, it seems to crash if I use the UV Editor, even though my 2022 iMac meets the minimum requirements for Metal. I think I’ll wait until this and other bugs relating to the Metal backend get fixed before using it. You’re right about the Metal backend having a few kinks that need to be ironed out. I hope the Metal backend becomes just as stable as the old backend, if not more. There’s still a bit of weirdness going on with the Metal backend, like the UV Editor having flickering selections upon zooming out, which inevitably crashes UPBGE. The M1 is a powerhouse, and isn’t like the CPUs/GPUs of 2001.

Speaking of nightly builds, when are the Stable builds going to be updated? Wouldn’t this occur when 0.4.0 comes out?

There will be a 0.36 stable release.

Thank you. Currently on 0.36 x86 Alpha (for macOS)

1 Like

I just checked to see if there was any 0.4.1 alpha version for macOS. Currently, only Linux and Windows exist. Since I presume the stable release of UPBGE 0.41 may be coming out in March, isn’t the Alpha version not far behind?

the metal backend / eevee-next is under heavy development

may be a minute before this is ‘stable’

That means a few months, right?