[UPBGE 0.36] is there anyway to do 8 directional movement animation

Hello, guys.

I would like to do an 8 directional movement animation like this video in UPBGE
8 Way Directional Movement - Unreal Engine 5 Tutorial (youtube.com)

Could I have some ideas?

i worked a lot on this .

Consider that people usually control a collision box, to that box, they parent an armature and an armature can have some “root ground” bone that could also be animated (to rotate)

With that, consider that you gonna move around your collision box and that your armature (whether animated in Obj mode or animated with the “root ground” bone in Pose mode) will simply align your character to the direction the box is going

Thats’s the basic, its possible to push it further as you can also align your character’s to the ground and it’s upper body to avoid losing the character’s scale and stuff like that

Good to know : in Range (=old upbge) you can use the Animation actuator and play actions that have a channel in which the Armature can be animated as an object … If you check the Local option on in the Actuator, your armature will play, for example, a 90° left turn along with the animation of the bones :slight_smile: So the animation of a chracter turning to the left 90° will make your armature effectively turn 90° whatever your local orientation was in the first place (so it gonna make you avoid to create 4 times the same “turn left90” )

1 Like