Update of the decade

https://developer.blender.org/D4627

I can’t even remember how many times I have accidentally closed blender by closing the console window. For some reason my brain refuses to learn, so I am super grateful for the idiot proof console window update.

It’s the little things that make a big difference:

1 Like

If I’m reading correctly, this means that people with a hung app need to ctrl+shift+tilde / ctrl+alt+del / right-click taskbar > task manager > find blender > force close > confirm.

Instead of just hitting ‘X’.

Yeah, I kinda liked the ‘X’ better :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

IMO, to not hurt anyone… Just the laziest and one of the dumbest solutions.
Would be much better, when & if accidentally X is pressed: “Do you really like to Quit Blender?” appears. Again, dev. catering to newbies and brain dead (people who can’t learn new things anymore).
:stuck_out_tongue:

Assuming you toggled the console before blender hung.

2 Likes

That’s true.

I always start with the console, I forget that it’s turned off by default :slight_smile:

Anyway, found a possible remedy by using this shortcut for blender on windows. My previous post can be disregarded!
cmd.exe /C "C:\b28\blender.exe"

This only applies to the toggled console, if you start with the console, they trust you enough to take the training wheels off.

I just get so used to the user preferences pop up, I open it, do what i need, then close it.

Then whenever I am debugging a python script, I open the console, find out what I need, then close it… and curse and curse.

Thank goodness for 60 second autosaves, but it’s still a little irritating.

(Yes, I know I should learn from my mistakes, but for some reason that one bites me repeatedly)

i learned to get around this by closing blender with the console window. im a bge guy so the thing is always open.

about 50/50 i use the console to intentionally close blender.

Well, you don’t need to worry about it now, with the bge being removed, right?

Too soon?

1 Like

lol, i actually still use 2.74. good version this is.

my whole computer is a nice little time capsule from a better age.

2 Likes

I had never use the X on the console before
but you are right if you click that X you loose blender !

so I don’t really mind if this X on console is removed I guess it is ok
now you wont loose blender cause of the console !

happy bl

Lol, i use to close Blender bringing up the console window (i setup a shortcut) and hitting that X! This to prevent the saving of the “quit.blend” file in temp folder, which depending on the project might take a while.