UPDATE: X-15 experimental aircraft

Hi there!

Here are some images I created of the X-15. The X-15 was an experimental aircraft built in the late 50s and set both speed and altitude records in the 60s. It could reach speeds of Mach 6.72 and exceeded 100km in altitude, which is considered a spaceflight.
Among the pilots was Neil Armstrong who later was the first person to walk on the moon.

Cheers!

Love these!

Awesome detail and lens flare. The lighting is pretty good and the shading is cool too. one thing though, I find my eyes going all around the image and try to add a focal point!

Wow, they look awesome! I like the shader of the skin material, it looks like the real one. Great work!

Beautiful. Especially like #2 as it looks like an authentic image from an aerospace mag with excellent detail.

Thanks a lot for your kind comments! :slight_smile:
I hope to create some additional illustrations of this aircraft featuring the mother ship introduced in #3 above. So stay tuned!

Did you model the X-15 by yourself? If so, can you point me to the references you used? I was looking for good drawings of this craft some time ago, but didn’t find too good references…

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ-IzvtcfPAhUCJh4KHWcPDNMQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AX-15_profiles_(English).jpg&psig=AFQjCNGUpqAVbhaEqPLD6SRoz4g7sQ70OQ&ust=1475885964345656 here’s a pretty good reference if you ask me not too hard to find.

Yes I modeled it myself. Google and Bing were my buddies in terms of references. I basically downloaded everything about the X-15 I could find that was helpful for modeling and texturing. There is indeed not too much to find, heres how my REF directory looked like:

The drawings you find online are not super accurate but it’s enough for basic modeling. Constant cross-referencing with actual photos is crucial though! Be aware that all three X-15 versions are slightly different like the picture Nate posted shows.
Hope this is helpful :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thanks Simon! Glad that I didn’t miss something obvious then :wink:

Is your B-52 mothership equally detailed? You must have spent a lot of time on these models!

No the B-52 is a lowpoly model from tf3dm.com
The decision to add it to this image was late in the process. I’ll improve both the model and textures to fit my needs for the upcoming illustrations. But since I can paint over a lot of details in photoshop I won’t bring it to the same level as the X-15.

Added three more images to the first post. Enjoy!

wow, so awesome :eek:

This is one of the greatest looking pieces of aviation art I have seen in a while… do you do any modeling? I am recruiting.

Wow, they’re amazing! The lighting, the angle of the camera, and the action, you nailed it. I think the first image is my favorite because the small details of dirt on the window really adds to the overall composition. It’s just right. :eek:

Thank you guys!

Feel free to get in touch, the best way is to use the contact form on my website. Cheers!