UPDATED Feb 2016: Blender Market Product: Production-Quality Skin Shaders

Didnt want to create a new thread just for this, but since its on the topic of sales… theres currently a siggraph/cg society focused sale going on with certain Foundry products. Modo 801 is 40% off till sometime in september, putting it at a Maya LT price point. Mesh Fusion is 25% off.
There’s apparently a good workflow for high and low poly meshes with mesh fusion to blender’s booltools plugin, high poly in modo, low poly version in Blender.

Anyways, carry on.

Hey! The prices before I changed them were $19.99 for the individual shaders and $29.99 for the double pack. For the next few days they’ll be 14.99 each and 19.99 for the pack. Cheers!

That’s a good deal mate, around 30% off on the Shader Pack… I’ve always like your shader-work, I love working with shaders myself and I can see you put careful though it to yours… :wink:

Cheers,

Just a heads up to people, only a few more hours to get the SIGGRAPH discounted price on the skin shaders! Get em’ while they’re hot!

Thank you for the free shader, it took a while to make it work but it worth.

Oh man I just saw this, haven’t checked the thread in a while. That’s an excellent render! Love it.

Here are some of my tests. I really like your shader, Matt. Thank you very much!!!

p.s.: Model is from 3dscanstore.com

super good,congrats!

Thank you, MmAaXx :slight_smile:

Hi Matt !
I’m testing your mhskin2 Shader and it’s pretty awesome so far.

But I have some questions.
Concerning Shallow/Mid/Deep SSS weight, the defaults parameters are (doing append to your nodegroup):

• Shallow SSS Weight => 0.1
  • Mid SSS Weight=> 0.4
  • Deep SSS Weight=> 0.5

But in the file exemple you are provided (the head) the parameters are :

• Shallow SSS Weight=> 1
  • Mid SSS Weight=> 1
  • Deep SSS Weight=> 1

I have tried the two configurations. The first one is darker, the second one lighter, but the two are great.
In general what is the best option ? Why so much differences ?

Concerning the Shallow/Mid/Deep Radius you are telling in the doc “you shouldn’t touch them unless you know what you’re doing.”
However the settings by defaults and from the file exemple are different.

By default :

• Shallow SSS Radius => 0.22
  • Mid SSS Radius=> 0.753
  • Deep SSS Radius=> 1.412

From the exemple :

• Shallow SSS Radius => 0.0000064
  • Mid SSS Radius=> 0.000187
  • Deep SSS Radius=> 0.007

Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:
Seb

Hey! Sorry for the slow reply, I don’t hang around here as often these days (In the future, the support log on the product page will probably be a safer bet for a fast response). I actually had to crack open the original file to have a look at this one! The short answer is that the values in the file with the head are the intended correct values. It looks like some bad defaults get linked in when you append the material. I’ll have a look at that and upload a corrected version to the market. I have some changes for both sitting in the wings anyway (corrected energy conservation mostly), so this will be a good fix to go along with that. Thanks a ton for bringing this to my attention!

The longer answer is that this shader is definitely more friendly for art direction than the SoG shader, at the cost of greater “mess-up-ability”. I really wouldn’t mess with the radii much unless you’re going for a creature with a blood color other than red, but the shallow/mid/deep weights are very much up for art direction. Their intended values are all 1 (and will produce real-world-correct results when used with color scan data or a high quality texture made from polarized skin images), but you can mess with these to your heart’s content without worry of getting anything really physically implausible.

Hi Matt !
Thank you so much for your answer. I understand better now :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see your next update.
And again your shader is really awesome (simply the best I found in term of realism).

Cheers from France !
Seb

Matt,

I purchased your mHskin2 shader when it first came out, and its great. Then here I read where you’d created updates since. How do I access the updates? I went to the support page and couldn’t find any links. Advice?

There haven’t been any updates yet! I’m putting some polish on everything over the next couple of days. Once that’s done I’ll be uploading to the market. All users who have purchased should receive an email with a link to the new products as soon as everything has gone live!

thanks for the update on the … update

UPDATE 05Feb2016:mhSkin2:

• Removed IOR In/Out, replaced with standard Facing/Fresnel. People hated it. I hated it. Let’s keep things simple.
  • Added support for B&W bump maps.
  • Added option to isolate reflections for easier/faster shader tweaks.
  • Corrected scatter radii.
  • Better color distribution per layer to more accurately reflect measured color at depth.
  • Better energy conservation with glossy layers.
  • Corrected default values when appended to external .blend.

mhSoGSkin:

• Added support for B&W bump maps.
  • Added option to isolate reflections for easier/faster shader tweaks.
  • Corrected scatter radii.
  • Better energy conservation with glossy layers.
  • Corrected default values when appended to external .blend.

In addition both have been re-adapted to be compatible with the new Christensen-Burley SSS profile, which is the new default.

Cheers!

Hi Matt !
Thank you very much for this huge update :slight_smile:

Glad to provide it! I’d love to hear feature suggestions from users as well if there’s something specific you’d like to see in future updates.

The question is, … Is it better than your prior version? Yes. Faster and less apt to lose detail. I also noticed that hair particles in the earlier version didn’t resolve as well as this version. Don’t know how they’re tied, but in this version, individual fine hairs appear more apparent. Also the shadowing is more transparent, and the underlying color more constrained.
And its faster, … did I say that earlier? So yeah, its way worth the purchase.

Glad to hear you’re happy with it! The hair thing could be due to the fact that the glossy wasn’t strictly energy conserving due to a dumb error by myself. Excess energy from the skin could have easily been blowing out hairs close to the surface. This is fixed in both of the updated shaders.