Updated Spider - Guts and All

Everyone else was doing it and it looked fun, so here’s the start of mine. Just the legs so far, and you can see some armature-induced problems at the joints.

And unlike you lightflow folks, I’m going to see how far I can take the Blender renderer. It’ll be interesting to see how nice of a final product I can get in comparison to LF et.al. with a nice GI sphere and some (hopefully) clever lighting.

http://www.reed-witting.com/hsupload/mechspiderthumb.jpg

Full size (640x480) at http://www.reed-witting.com/hsupload/mechspider640x480.jpg

:smiley: Good :smiley:

Another entry for the underground arachnid contest 8)

Stefano

Added guts. Only have to do the head and an environment. And then my spider will eat all of the other girly spiders. Mwuuahaaahaaa!

WOW! That’s some great chrome/metal texture work there. Looks incredible. Best blender metal I have seen yet.

Can’t wait to see more.

BgDM

wow, that’s really nice!

I just had a very clever ideas while looking at your pic… uhm… yep, that should work.

one more metalic spider wouldn’t hurt much would it?

Hey, we could make it a contest, what do you think!?

Martin

Sounds good to me.

But if your good idea includes the use of your super-secret Dynamica stuff then we’re going to gang up and lynch you.

no no, not that kind of secret stuff. Unless… :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

woah! :o excellent modelling :smiley: the metal texture is cool,looks real.
the tubes are awesome,i tried to make serpentine hoses but didnt have much luck,how did you do those?,the red glow is cool too.
hmmmmmm…i may just have to edit my spider some,heh
what started out as an experiment with lightflow,seems to have sparked some mechanical creativity,cool!
perhaps i should render mine with blender…

killer work!!! :wink:

rixtr

Thanks everyone.

The hoses are all made from the same base hose, which was made this way:

1. A long tube mesh primitive, beauty subdivided several times until it is in something like 16 segments.
  2. Reflective metallic texture applied.
  3. Bump/spec/ref map applied using uv placement for coordinates (this way it stays no matter how you warp the mesh).
  4. Use both proportional editing and traditional editing to create a few different warped tubes.
  5. Rotate, scale and duplicate until your space is filled nicely.