Upgrading my computer

At the moment I have a 1.7 GHz CPU and a friend offered a 2.8GHz one to me for free and I was wondering if I put a 2.8GHz CPU onto a motherboard (which’s manual says that only up to 2.2GHz CPUs are okay to run on it and higher than that haven’t been tested) is it going to run? Or is it going to burn my motherboard or power supply?

Thanks,
blenderist.

Well. You have to give more specifications. But it probably won’t work if you don’t upgrade the firmware of the motherboard.

What exactly do you need to know?

Just enough so I can google it to you.

name of the new 2,8ghz cpu ?
Name of the motherboard / model number and brand ?
not going to google it though , I have some googling to do allready…

Intel Celeron 2.66GHz/256/533(I was mistaken, it’s 2.66)
and the motherboard:
MSI SiS 645 Ultra-C

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=645_Ultra-C

There. I did the google search for you that took about 6 second to do. Apparently you like to wait.

Damn I need to get a job.

EDITSorry for the moronic post…

Great. :D…

Yes it will support that processor. The mother board says it supports pentium 4’s with 478 pin socket and the Intel Celeron 2.66GHz/256/533 is just that. There shouldn’t be a problem with voltage as celerons are pretty efficient with power and its only a little bit over 2.4 ghz that the mother boards specifacation recomends.
Probably the only thing is that you may have to get a better heat sink as there is a big difference between 1.7Ghz and 2.6Ghz. If you dont want to google it yourself, post the name of your heatsink here.

Yes, sometimes it’s necessary that one should upgrade their computer from time to time. There are new software out there that have high specifications and so on. Also I think it’s best that one should be extra careful when it comes to updating their antivirus.

Well… intel stock heatsink for 1.7GHz processor