URGENT Help with Baking and/or rendering...

Hey guys.

I’m a complete noob with Blender, and the forums as well.
I have a project that’s due in less than ten days (unfortunately I cant disclose what exactly I’m working on because of a
confidentiality agreement between me and a client). But I was supplied with the models to be imported into Blender for me to animate with and render. After going through numerous forums and watching exaggeratively millions of youtube tutorials, I still no real answer to my question - it just seems to be more problems piling on top of the other.

I was lead to believe that baking your models would decrease the render time. When I try to bake one of them, the timer says that it would take hours to complete. Like a whole day. That should not even take that long, considering most of the videos I’ve watched (mainly Blender Guru) are able to bake it pretty much in an instant, a few seconds at most.
I’ll provide a screen shot, if it can provide some clue as to what the problem is:

I have a feeling its to do with how many vertices the model has. Other things to note is that it has a texture material assigned to it. Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong exactly? Is there any way I can shorten the baking period without sacrificing the quality of the model?

Attachments

I have a feeling its to do with how many vertices the model has.
That model does not have a high number of faces.

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong exactly?
One of the things you’re doing incorrectly is suppl;y so little information. Render time (including baking) is dependent on the render settings. We know nothing about your render settings because you have not supplied that important information.